• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Minimum LB Thrust for Small Resort Boat

TMBeard

All,

My parents have a 14' older resort boat that they acquired from my Grandparents when they(My Grandparents) sold their resort. I am wanting to put a transom mount troller on it and wanted to know what the min lb thrust is I should be looking at? I know there is a calculation to determine this, but I have no idea what the weight or weight capcity is on this thing.(Much easier on my 17' Crestliner as I looked at the operator manual)

On My 14 ft aluminum I use either a old 18 lb thrust which works fine or I have a 30 lb thrust works a bit better in the wind,BUT THEY BOTH WORK your choice.I think the smallest now days you could buy is 30 lb but if went higher you'll use the battery quicker so its give & take,My 18 thrust runs off one charge 3 days using it heavy on camping trips.

Remember though, that using a higher thrust motor at lower speeds probably is drawing less amps than a smaller thrust at a higher setting, for the same "speed". I think that is correct, from looking at charts, though I can't find them now.

I would do a 36 at least and use it at less power. But if you find a cheap one somewhere, go with price smile I remember my Grandpa (blind guy, so didn't use outboards) got one of the first electrics that were widely available, I think a Shakespeare, and it was like 12#. It got us around in a 14' steel boat on a small lake.