• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gulp minnows creamed live bait!

Ok now I'm a believer in the the Gulp minnow. A buddy and I fished an area lake last night, side by side, same area, same technique. The only difference is that I was using a jig tipped with a leech and he used a jig rigged with a 3" Gulp minnow. He creamed me in the walleye department, including a fat 26.5"er. There was no doubt that the 'eyes favored the Gulp minnow over the leech last night. It was unbelievable; Gulp minnows are now part of my arsenal....

Let me add one more detail: its not the fishing was hot and that the livebait was outperformed because of the its hassle, re-baiting, etc.; no the walleyes really keyed on the Gulp minnows...

Did you have any live minnows to compare? I think it would be interesting to know how the Gulp products compared to live minnows. I'm thinking that comparing a minnow immitation to a leech may not provide real accurate data as it could just have been that they were keying on the minnow shape?

Bob

I'm kind of with BobT on this one ...... I am a big fan of plastics including gulp, but I don't think comparing a gulp minnow to a jig and leech is a close enough comparison to decide that it was the gulp they were going after.

To each their own, but I am not a big fan of the jig and leech anyway (unless it's under a slip bobber). I would have liked to hear how the gulp minnow did against a jig/shiner and a jig/fathead......especially at this time of year. The betting man in me would put it at even money.

I've been using both fatheads and 3 inch gulp minnows on the same 1/16th oz jig head switching back and forth. Friday I caught 2 walleyes on the gulp minnows and 3 on the fatheads. On Saturday I did better with the gulp minnows for walleyes. Both days I ended up catching crappies, bass, and pike as well but only on the gulp.

I've just started giving Gulp a serious try this year, but I have to say I'm pretty impressed. It's done outstanding on crappies and held its own with walters, pike and bass too. If the catch rate stays up in the tougher fishing when the water really steams up, I may give up live bait all together.....Maybe.

I guess i belive in gulp alive or not using live bait at times. but just because one boat doesnt catch as many fish doing the same thing could be just place and time. I fished over the weekend in a separate boat from my dad and mom and they only manage one walleye and the boat we were in manage five. Same plugs and same color. I think it is more speed and time and place.

Being in Texas (ill be up there for 1st time ever in a week), I love to saltwater fish. SO i have had a different look at gulp that might help some people use the bait. I have used GULP! quite a bit and have had some luck on it. However I do not see it as the end all be all for every type of fishing. It seems to shine when you slow down a presentation. Such as popping cork and a GULP shrimp or a jighead and gulp when fishing for flounders. Flounders are a type of fish u have to wait to set the hook on, so gulp is really nice for those. However when fish are feeding actively or are more aggressive, other plastics catch just as many fish. Sometimes the action on those other soft plastics are even better and can catch more fish then gulp. The good thing about this is that other soft plastics cost a fraction of the cost of Gulp. So if the fishing method calls for a slow presentation, dont hesitate to give GULP a try. But other methods, such as trolling, I really dont think it matters. I hoped I helped someone who hasnt tried GULP.

As far as outfishing live bait, the only reason that seems to happen down here is because shrimp falls off the hook so easy.

Since opener, I have only caught 3 eyes on shiners that were seined out of the lake. While a 4" gulp minnow has caught 20 or 30 on a 1/4 oz. jig.

I like it, i've caught a couple of 8 and 9 pounders using gulp. I also caught plenty on plain ol mister twisters. It works best where you need really bright colors like in the muddy Minnesota River. I put both a minnow and gulp on a jig if they really aren't biting. You can also catch just about everything on the 3 inch gulp. I don't say that it could ever be better than live bait but if you're on fish it is a good option

I am a believer. I have personally seen Gulp outfish fatheads on the same outing with a buddy - and the two of us are pretty decent jig fishermen. I personally do better with the black shad color over the emerald shiner. I use 3" from a bag. If you doubt it, then don't buy it. We need it to stack up at the stores so it goes on sale. Seriously, after using it I totally gave up on seining shiners.

Also - they stay on the hook while casting, you catch multiple fish on one minnow, and you can always have them in your box. If I had young kids I'd rig a dropshot and a Gulp minnow and let them drag it while I cast.

My buddy and I were crappie fishing last night right before the storms rolled through and just hammered the crappies with minnows and stuck the storms out and shortly after we ran out of minnows and I remembered I picked up some green gulp minnows and said hey lets give them a try and right away i caught a nice one and figured it was just a fluke deal and as soon as it hit the water again BOOM!!! I HAD ANOTHER so I will swear by it and the one thing I really noticed was that when they bit on the gulp they comitted instantly and on minnows they would nip at it and follow it for a while and then eventually bite, but sometimes you would miss them on the minnows but never on the gulp.

I'm a believer

You'll also find that the Gulp will work better when the water temps are cooler. It's hard to say why for sure but I think that it's because the warmer the water the more scent that is dispersed. Therefore there isn't a well defined scent trail to zero in on the bait in warm water versus cooler water.

Spring and fall it's best a hot bait for me.