• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Thank You,Hemlock, I appreciate it, have to make sure I plan the budget right. I met you last summer at the shop hope to see you when we come through this year jun and july this year LUCKY ME get to go twice!!!

Fuel costs always sting. Ill know an up to date price on AV gas here shortly. Gas guy just pulled in the drive to fill our 3500 gallon AV gas barrel this week.

Gas in Fort Frances and points north was going for over $1.30 a liter in some places..

Hemlock, I think your math is a bit off... I figured $1.30/liter gas at OVER $5 per gallon, plus we lose out on the exchange by a penny or two per dollar...

At one resort on LOTW, not to be named, gas at the dock was going for the equivalent of $6 US per gallon.

Ouch...

My dad, my uncle and I are coming up in mid June. We will be stopping in International Falls Saturday morning and filling up 4, 6 gallon tanks... We figure we can probably save 40 bucks doing this give or take. Its really getting out of hand up there. Luckily our lodges plan gives us 10 gallons a day included but we use more than that every day unfortunately...

Later,

Of course, if you can't afford tht extra gas money, maybe we should sell our boats, eh?

It cost me $100 round trip to drive to my cabin and then more for boat gas. But the fishing and hunting are so good, so much better than closer places, that I'm willing to bite the bullet and pay the extra money.

I cant imagine someone NOT taking a fishing trip becasue of gas prices -- unless their budget is that tight.

Hemlock, let us know if you are seeing less US traffic up there. Some places in northern Minnesota report numbers way down, but that could be the weather so far, too...

Diesel has been running at about the same cost as regular these days.

I hope this isn't keeping people from coming up. I understand that fuel cost has increased very significantly over the past weeks/months, but in the big scheme of things, if people are smart about it, it's not all that much of an expense when going on a Canadian fishing trip. Once you're up here, you might forget about your worries, and enjoy the beauty.

(That's my sales pitch, as most resorts are down in bookings) laugh

My math should be on...

1.29/liter multiplied by 3.75 to get it into US gallons equals $4.87/gallon

Exchange is very close right now, with the CDN dollar being maybe a nickle stronger.

How are you calculating it Wild Thing? (Not being snarky)

At $1.29 liter, with the exchange rate I was charged on Thursday, it would be $5.07 per gallon in US funds. You can't not count the exchange rate because that's the cost to us. Unfortnately, we rarely get the actual exchnage. there's always naother 2-3 percent added on for local profit, which is fine...

sorry, don't mean to be the bearer of bad news, but gas is costing US residents more than $5 per gallon in Northwestern Ontario...

At the $1.33/liter I saw up there.. it's $5.04 per gallon even without the exchnage difference...

I just got a report from another resort of nearly $7 gallon gas!!

I imagine even the fly-ins are hurting because of this...

Heck it wont stop me but I do have to watch the running of the boat a bit that gas guzzzzzler one trip up to the falls and back eats uo 35 gallons good thing over the years ive explored my own areas which arent to far soo im goood to goo I leave in the morning and looking forward to playing with the trout a bit then 3 weeks later I do it again I LOVE IT UP THERE

I think we are on the same sheet of music here. No matter how you skin the cat, it is not pretty. Tourism is suffering already we are off to a slow start. My business (a gas station/bait shop/c-store) relies heavily on tourism and especially US traffic in May-October.

I just know for the ones who are passionate about Canada (like I am) it probably isn't going to affect whether or not you come to Canada, it just might affect your daily game plans for how far you wish to travel by boat to get to the fish.

I always try and cram one more "buddy" in the boat, and divide the gas by 3 instead of 2. "Buddy" just doesn't get to fish all that much.

I used to trailer my boat back and forth. This year I got the permit to leave my boat in Canada all summer. Towing it drops my mileage from 19 to 14 mpg and that ads up...

I think guys should just cram more buddies into the truck for their trips north... dividing it three ways instead of two puts the price back to normal, eh!!!

Explain the permit???? I've not heard of that. I thought you could leave a boat at a resort as long as you didn't leave it over the winter. Where and how does a person get a permit and what does it allow?

You can't leave anything in Canada of a personal nature -- cars, boats, snowmobiles, etc. -- unless you either pay duty on it or fill out a form E-99. It's free and quick. And you can leave the boat all season.

Canada Border Services (customs etc.) actually patrols on occasion and you can get fined and forefit the boat if they find it in Canada without the form.

You can also leave it at a resort/marina over the winter if it is being serviced.

We were paying $6/gallon at the resort we were staying at last week near Vermillion Bay....ouch!!

Hemlock - is there any limit to the amount of gas (in cans) a guy can bring across the border with him?