• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trim tab?

ANYFISH

I just bought a new boat this spring that has a 115 hp Yamaha 4 stroke. I just noticed tonight that the trim tab ( I believe that is what the small tab under the cavitation plate is) is missing. There is a "hole" where it would go. The motor has a hydrofoil that has been added. Would they have removed the tab because of the hydrofoil? I think it should still be there, anyone know for sure? Thank you in advance.

My first post may have been misleading as it is a used boat (new to me). Maybe the bolt worked loose? I should be able to get a replacemant through work. Is it ok to still use in the mean time? Will it just effect cornering or should I be concerned with other handling problems?

You should be ok to use it.. your steering torque may or may not be higher than usual, so be prepared for that, but there's no reason you couldn't use it in my opinion.

One reason they may have taken it off is because they put a larger diameter prop on the motor that did not have sufficient clearance to the torque tab - so be sure to check that when you install a new one.

marine_man

Sometimes that trim tab also acts as what is called a sacrificial anode. What this means is that it is meant to corrode before the aluminum does, with the less noble metal attacting the ions that cause corrosion, thus saving the important parts from deteriorating. It is more important to have when using in saltwater, but is beneficial to have in our environment, but not necessarily necessary. I don't know if Yamaha uses the trim tab as the anode, however. I am sure someone here does know, and if it is, it would be worthwhile to install one.

FYI - you can also get a flat plate as opposed to the "tab" plate. We put a larger dia. prop as mentioned, and used it without the tab for a couple years, but last year I got a flat one to use as anode... cost only like $12 or something like that.

Good luck, enjoy the new rig!