• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cows

Fishin=Easy

anyone raise 1 or 2 calves for their beef? Interested in what the savings is as well as how long it takes to raise a calf into a 1000 or 1100 lb steer. Pretty vague i know but its gotta be worth it with the drop in taxes.

I would say with the price of corn, and hay you wouldnt save any money. Then add in labor, winter time a heated stock tank. I have raised 10 at a time kept 1 for myself and sell the rest and barely came ahead. To do just 2, not worth it! Thats just my opinion though

unless a guy has ample pasture, I don't think you can get ahead by raising a calf for slaughter. In the fall/ winter months I work for a meat processor where we do "custom Cutting". Meaning we do "ranch Kills" on site, take the carcass, age & cut it. My advise wouold be to go to a reputable "butcher" and talk to him. Find out where his beef comes from and what breed they are, Angus, hereford, black/black baldie, etc, and the price of 1/4 and 1/2's. For summer months, typicaly you would want the hind. That's where your steaks come from and summer is when you do most grilling, etc. Winter months you'd probably want the front 1/4 for your roasts, stews, burger, brisket, rib eye & shank meat. Most local guys will sell a combo package of front and hind quarter cuts. Then ask for references. To be brutally blunt, an average shopper has NO idea what they are buying out of the display case, much less what part that cut came from or what to look for in appearance or where that carcass came from. Dealing with a custom cutter you will. Are you going to pay more??...probably. Will it be worth it?.....for a discriminating palate, YES. Plus, you know you are supporting your local rancher and economy. Raising a calf is pert-near a fulltime job and a hog is worse.