• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

More Wildflowers! (pics)

Another great sunny morning along the trail!....unusual to get 3 days in a row up in this neck of the woods without rain grin....here's a few pics of some spring blood roots I came across this morning near Carey Lake...

Frame_bloodroot66.jpg

Frame_bloodroot41.jpg

Frame_DSCF4745-1copy.jpg

Frame_DSCF4742-3copy.jpg

the creek where the bloodroots grow(little water flow as the beaver have dammed it up)....very little leaves on the trees yet....

Frame_careycreek-1.jpg

I really like the first one jonny. I know your a wildflower fan - Banning State Park down by Sandstone is FULL of trillium right now. I'm tempted to head down there tomorrow.

Steve,

They're all large-flowered trillium. I was there with students for a geology trip and they were thick in places. A nice overcast day could make for some wonderful shots. I was kicking myself that I didn't have my camera. If you happen to go, they were in the woods on the way to the boat landing on the kettle river and there were a few thick sections right by the river next to the boat landing. *If you are tempted to head down, let me know - we can carpool.

Thanks, Mike. Tucked into my pack are LiteDisc diffuser discs. No sun too strong for those! gringrin

Much as I'd love to head south for trillium, I have a guided excursion tomorrow, a wedding tomorrow night, and another excursion on Sunday.

Guess I'll rest when I retire! Sure wish I was trillium-bound. gringrin

Wouldn't mind getting in on some of Jonny's sweet bloodroot, either, but time seems to be fleeing in front of me.

Thankyou for the great photo's

I remeber some years ago I planted a whole bunch of those blood root plants in a yard for a landscape customer(folage verry simular to Ligulairia but larger). I loved the folage the plant had and how large they got, I had no idea they they had blooms like that.

A time after that, I find myself in situations where I wanted to use them. Fore the life of me I keep forgeting the name. Being lazy, I substitute for a differant plant.

After reading this post I have written the name down putting it in safe keeping.

Again, Thankyou

thanks guys!....Steve,that diffuser certainly would be a great idea for those bright "in the sun" shots...I fully realize some of the images are a "tat" blown out in the flowers petals whites ...I usually try and find a plant somewhat in the shade but ,at times,I like the colors and brightness the sun adds to the overall "look"...tough to do both sometimes....the pics here were taken at about 11:00 approaching the harshest time of day for sunlight....only thing in my favor is that the trees above somewhat broke the harshness of the direct sunlight on some of the photos ...hmmmm....maybe a piece of "tyvak" or someting one could roll up in your pocket would work as a diffuser grin......Steve,the bloodroots are just starting to bloom along the creek here near Carey Lake....certainly welcome to come along and take some shots and the nodding trilliums are also along the same trail(hundreds of them)....I also found large flowered bellworts and sessile-leaved bellworts(wild oats) blooming in the same area(both yellow lilly type flowering plants)...and "white sweet violets"....plus others yesterday.... grin.........plus a few birds of course!...I walked about 3 1/2 miles with my tripod/digiscope (fully extended) and 2 other cameras over my shoulder yesterday....it works for me grin

these violets are only a little over 1/4" across!...

Frame_DSCF4732-1.JPG

I think these are "Choke Cherries".....

Frame_DSCF4741-2.JPG

tons of these along side the bloodroot...

Frame_DSCF4781-1.JPG