• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Channel Cat Fishing Sat 5/24

BonusMom2008

I need a little help. My stepson, a river enthusiast, wants to go fishing for catfish, suckers etc. tomorrow all day. We live near Stillwater.

We will be fishing from shore - can anyone please fill me in on some good shore fishing spots? What about downtown Stillwater by the bridge? Not opposed to going to the Mississiippi or other places. We are willing to drive a little ways.

Thanks for whatever help you can offer!

Lowell Park in downtown Stillwater would be a good place to start. The water is still high and the levee walkway may still be under water. Just north of the Gazebo you will see where the walkway goes up and then back down. There are a couple of storm drains that dump into the river right there. It is a popular place to fish so you may have company.

You can fish two rods on the St Croix so be sure and use them both. I would recommend baiting one rod with cut bait and the other with a nightcrawler. You can expect to catch a lot of sheepshead.

This is the holiday weekend so the river will be wild with boats. You are going to get a lot of wave action no matter where you fish. I would recommend fishing early and leaving about 10:00 am or so.

You said you were not opposed to driving a little ways. I would recommend Coon Rapids Dam Regional Park on the Mississippi River. It is a fun place for kids, lots to see and do, and there is fairly good fishing for suckers, carp, cats, etc. If you have a Washington County Parks sticker it also works for Anoka County Parks. Here is a link to their webpage:

Coon Rapids Dam Regional Park