Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mr d

fiberglass dull finish??how to restore ?

6 posts in this topic

the boat has a maroon finish. very dull... please advise as to how to restore- protect and maintain. Thanks mr .d.

Wet sanding the hull is hard to beat for overall long lasting results. It takes a whole lot of work, but trust me, if it's done right, that's the best option. Like I said it's a lot of work, but it's something most anyone can do...all you need is water and and the right (fine grit) sand paper. After all the sanding is complete, the boat gets buffed, waxed and then is ready to look pretty. Bass boat restoration sites are a good place to find in-depth information on restoring fiberglass hulls and how to do it properly.

You can try other easier stuff first, but if that doesn't work or fades with time, wet sand the hull...

3M makes a fiberglass restore you can use with a buffer. Best method I've ever found to restore faded fiberglass finish. My boat is black and the gunnels were very oxidated. This was the only method that restored it back to original.

Unfortunately, I borrowed my friends 3M formula and I can't find it locally. Wish I could give you more details....I need a bottle myself.

thanks every one

i'll start asap picking up a small buffer too.

3M Super Duty. Wool pad on the buffer, be care full not to burn it.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• I'm curious about the GenieJar.  Looks like there is a 30oz and a 17oz version.  I wonder how it works in fairly cold weather.  The nice thing about styrofoam is that it insulates against the entire water mass freezing into a minnow-sicle.  I wonder if they recommend throwing it inside your jacket or something. 
    • Agreed. I am getting nervous about the state of out financial situation now, well, I guess getting MORE nervous. Toward the back end of the contract Parise's deal isn't so bad since it was front loaded, but the term is so long. IMO we cannot afford any more buyouts. Pominville is such a buzzkill. Koivu has really played great the last 1 plus this year. No, he isn't going to win many races for the puck, but as long as he isn't on the top line I am OK with that. Staal is doing a little better than I had hoped I guess. I was hoping just for solid play, but there have been a few games where he and Coyle we so strong on the puck the opposition couldn't get control of it.
    • Hey Star, I wouldn't leave the fan there. It's going to get really HOT and will melt ! Move it to the bottom of the cabinet just left of the gas valve and have it blowing up so it pushes the heat out the vents on the top half of the heater.
    • I agree with the backing for the fly line.  Never had any problems and the stuff seems to get better with age.
    • Best thing I've found is backing for fly line.  It has no memory and virtually no knots.  It's better situated for rattle wheels because of the physical size of the backing but I've not had any problems yet with my Frabil tip-ups.  Deepest water we fish in is only 30' with normal depth of around 12'.  Our local Runnings sells 50 yard segments for like $3 each in any color. 
    • The next year my Mom and Dad cooked the turkey in one of those white roasters and it was awesome.  So I told her that too.  Big time.  It was nice and juicy too.
    • i believe it is their first year, one of the guys used to work for Ice Castle at the Pine River plant.  They have videos on you tube.  I have seen them on Facebook and you tube, the house looks nice, but it is not something I would buy. 
    • There sure isn't any rhyme or reason to the costs. I think you stand a lot better chance for a good price in the summer though when you can take your house to a job site and they don't have set up and clean up costs involved. 
  • Our Sponsors