• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

03 Trailblazer clunking noise Right Front

Hey guys,

I have a 2003 Trailblazer with a clunk in the RF that I can't figure out. It doesn't happen often, but it is pretty loud when it does. I notice it most when I start backing out of a parking spot. I have checked all the front end parts and they appear to be tight. Any ideas?

Thanks,

John

When you check the ball joints if the suspension is hanging it wont show much play in the ball joints. The front suspension should be at is natural spot, to do this place the jack under the a-arm you are checking and jack it up and check for play. Then take a big bar and put under the tire while it is jacked up and lift up on the bar to see if there is any movement on the ball joints. Sometimes checking them this way will find that loose ball joint that seemed tight checking with the suspension hanging! Good luck!

A loose ball joint will likely not show up with the suspension hanging. By putting the jack under the control arm you take the load off of the ball joints making any play that might exist more evident. Make sure you push in and pull out on the top of the tire to see if the upper is loose. Don't be afraid to really tug/push.

The last thought is a worn out sway bar link. These will make a clunking noise as well and are more common to fail than a ball joint. Sometimes they will be obviously broken. You can pry up and down on the sway bar as close to the link as possible to see if there is any play in them.

Thanks for the ideas. I did check the suspension loaded and there was still no play in the ball joints. I have checked the sway bar links as well, and those seem to be tight. They have already been replaced too. That's why I'm at a loss.

I worked at a locally based tire shop for 5 years and am/was ASE certified, but I haven't been doing this for about 5 years.

It's amazing how you quickly you fall behind if you don't do the work regularly anymore. Thanks again, if anything else comes to mind I would appreciate it.

John

Does the 03 Trailblazer have steering stops? Most likely not.

I am sure you checked tie rod ends and other steering points?

I would watch the right front tire (both front tires should be watched also) and see if you get any abnormal wear in tire tread (even slight).

Try to see if you can figure out how to make it happen over and over again and report back.

Good luck!

If it only makes noise while stopping, I would check to make sure the brake caliper bracket bolts are tight. A-arm bushings is another option, loose shock.