• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Square Lake

DonBo

Thanks for the reply. Have you caught any big bluegill at Square Lake. I caught some nice ones last summer, but nothing huge.

Has anyone caught a nice bass out of Square? Again, I have caught some 1-2 pounders, but nothing to take a picture of.

I've never seen anyone take a northern, but I've heard stories of some nice ones.

Is the lake open yet? Haven't been up to see it yet this season.

Thanks again.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never Targeted them but have caught some 8-9 inchers while trout fishing. Only caught small bass but again don't target them. I did catch a very big (20 lb?) pike through the ice. Doubt if the lake is totaly open yet but haven't been there for a while.

Casted my arm off at Square Lake today....got blanked. Not one other person on the lake. My boys used red worms and I used a small spoon tipped with wax worms. Not even a nibble in 4 hours...

Water is cold and clear, probably too early?

My buddies caught a bunch of gills on Lily Lake yesterday, probably should have hit that lake instead.

When does Square start firing up? Or is it just my luck...?

Doug

Just to update you all. I fished Square over the weekend and I saw a ton of trout cruising, but had no luck.

I am a bluegill wierdo, so my hopes of catching a few bulls was put to rest. At least this early...

Water is so clear, and water temps were in the mid 50's. I've heard that 60 degree water temps is the key. I'll head out again next weekend to higher water temps and hopefully get something.

Hope you all had a good weekend.

Doug

I fished Square over the weekend and I saw a ton of trout cruising, but had no luck.

I know you didn't say you were trout fishing, and I know you are a gill guy, but you do know trout is not yet open on the lake?

So, in the fishing regulations it says stream trout in lakes opens statewide May 9th. However, I believe Square Lake opens later, like mid-June. Can anyone tell me where to find this info?

You can legally keep the trout starting June 6 I believe or at least thats how I understand the regulations on page 42 of the fishing regulations. "Square Lake (Washington County) trout: Catch-and-release from May 9 through June 5 and from October 1 through October 31.Remainder of the summer and winter seasons the possession limit for trout is two."

Thanks for that. Online it is on page 38. Guess I need to get a hard copy of the regs, a little easier to find things compared to online.

Thanks for that, I'll be out tonight for the first time this year. White Alumacraft with 25 hp Yamaha if anyone wanted to stop and say hi.

Well last night was tough for me. I did catch one about 30' down on a rappala behind a snap weight. Lost one on a crawler and missed another.

Talked with a guy who did real good mid-day. Think he was using corn. Had a budy and his partner get their 4 in short time using corn tonight.

"Watch & learn". Brought a can of corn this morning and had my two in no time. In about a 25 minute period I lost one at the boat, missed two and caught two. Fishing about 20-25' down in 40 fow.

I did see a couple guys using downriggers and cowbells catch several.

Hey Guy's, I have a tip for you don't use red line on Square Lake! After seeing 3 sniffers on the depthfinder come right up to my crawler and leave it was time for a change. I put a 3 foot chunk of flouro-carbon leader on and I finally caught my first square lake rainbow. I never did get a bite on my red lined slip bobber rig either in 2 trips??? The good news is my boy caught 1 each trip so he rubs it in like he's a pro. smile

Now how do you guys clean them? I tried my normal walleye way and had a couple problems. I tried gutting one and then filleting it and that was a mess! I came out with 2 sides and a back...yikes! Now for some olive oil and lemon pepper seasoning and to the hot grill!

Crawlers in 50+ feet fishing 14' down. No bites on corn.

Thanks for the tips,

Ferny.