• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Square Lake

DonBo

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally made it out today. Set up about 7 and managed to catch a nice 14 incher around 730. Twenty minutes later I missed a really nice one which was even bigger. Did not see a single fish after that. I fished untill noon. Was fun to actually catch one thorough the ice hope I can manage a few more this winter. Good luck to all

MN Angler

Way to go MN. Seems to me the action is mostly from 7:00-9:00. Definitely slows after that. Even the evening bite is not much to talk about.

I'd like to get a few more for the smoker myself.

Pretty quiet out there mid-week?

Went out yesterday and got a nice 14 incher at 730 but once again that was the last trout I got all day. Moved around a lot and saw a few more nice trout but no takers. Did manage to get a few really nice sunfish in the evening. Good day out there still trying to figure out the trout.

MN Angler

That's exactly how my weekend went.

From what I've seen you need to be set up by 7am and you may as well go home for breakfast at 10:00 cause it's over.

There are some nice sunfish though huh? Crappies too if you can find them.

wonder if they go deeper toward the afternoon or something(trout that is)? Yeah there were some really nice sunfish one 9 incher and a couple 8.5 inchers as well. A school swam through and I picked a few off. I let them go because I didnt feel like cleaning just three pannies and also because they had a lot of black spots.

Can anyone point me to what depth I should be starting at right now for some of these square lake rainbows?

I tried any where from 6 to 40 feet last week Friday but was not able to score my first ice fishing trout. I did have one fish break my 3lb test but who knows that could have been a pike. Ended up catching a 12inch northern and a nice sized perch but no trout. Anybody have any idea if waxies, eurolarva or minnows are the preferred bait for rainbows? What kind of jigs should I be using or should I use a bare hook?

Thanks for any info you could spare.

The trout have been really hard to come by in winter for myself. I have been out three times combined about 18 hours and have only gotten two trout. I usually get set up around 7am and have seen trout anywhere from 15 to 5 feet however, getting them to bite is a completely different story. I believe I saw the most trout in around ten feet but like I said I have not gone any deeper than 15 so hopefully someone else chimes in. I got both of mine on waxies and a small panfish jig. Good luck.

I've been catching them in 6-8 FOW. The bite has slowed the last couple weeks, though I have yet to be skunked. Another FM'r that fishes out there has been catching them in 25-30 FOW lately.

There are two main points on the right side from the landing and one on the left side. These are good places to start. They are also catching them on the far end of the lake in the bay on the right side, past the big barn.

A couple things that really help. First, you need to be set up early, before first light. By 9:00 it's pretty much over.

You need to be quiet, even in the deeper water they are only 5-6 feet under the ice.

After sunrise, shut off your lights and LOOK down the hole at your jig. Make it quiver or pulse by gently shaking or bouncing your rod. Make it look alive. You can't wait till you see one because they come and go too fast. Keep it moving all the time. Wait till the fish has the bait in his mouth and has taken it a ways before you set the hook. I have missed many this year by setting too early. Keep watching it all the time.

I have only caught two trout EVER under a bobber. Before light I use a good spring bobber and keep it moving.

My best jig this year has been a crappie size (I think it is called a) Finkie. A horizontal bait with an small orange plastic body. I tip it with two eurolarvae. I'm not sure that the jig is as important as is keeping the bait moving. Once you look down the hole at your jig, you'll see what I mean.

Don't know what else to tell ya, good luck.

Thanks for the great advice DonBo and MN Angler. I'll be heading out tomorrow morning to give it a try. Maybe tomorrow is the day. Well, if not its supposed to be nice out at least.

Thanks again guys.

So....how'd it go???

MN? You get out?

I was chasing crappies this weekend and didn't get to Square.

Well guys I was out last Friday with a freind from 6:30 AM till and 11:30. We tried a few different depths and baits but did not see a trout. My buddy managed one bluegill and saw a few others but that was all for our efforts. Two Fridays in a row with similar results. I think its time to head somewhere else where maybe I can get a bit more action. I'll give it a try again, just not this winter. Good luck if you guys give it another try this year I hope you do better than us. Thanks again for the tips.

Hello All-

Can anyone tell me when the bluegills spawn at Square Lake?

My boys are finally old enough to go out and I would like for them to see what the spawn beds look like and for us to catch and release a few nice gills.

I have enjoyed reading all of the previous posts about trout. It's nice to have a place to get information about this great lake.

Thanks again.

Doug

Welcome to FM! Glad you finally joined in, it's much more fun than lurking.

Although I know there are some dandy gills in the lake, I'm not sure when they spawn. Certainly not for quite a while yet. Because the lake is so deep, it takes longer for it to warm up than most other small lakes in the area. Probably when you start hearing about the spawn in other area lakes, Square will be just a bit behind.

Stay tuned.

DonBo-

Thank you very much for replying. I'll just keep my eyes open and do a little scouting at the lake. Square Lake is a great bluegill lake, I can't wait to get my fly rod out.

[Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]