• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Square Lake

DonBo

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most are taken in pretty shallow water, 6' - 15' or so. They can be anywhere in the water column. The water is so clear, the best tactic is sight fishing.

Get it as dark as possible in your shack and keep an eye on your jig. When a fish grabs it...take him! They will seldom take a bobber down and if you watch a spring bobber, they're often gone before you can react.

Try small sunfish type jigs with waxies or eurolarva.

Most ice fish right out from the public beach. They are in the deep water during the summer for sure. They just seem to relate more to the shoreline during the winter. I have no doubts you could find them in deeper water if you tried.

Square is not a designated trout lake so two lines and minnows are allowable. however if it were a designated trout lake here are the rules that should be followed:.Restrictions on designated trout lakes.

A.taking of fish is prohibited, except during the open season;

B.not more than one line may be used for angling at any time, including when angling through the ice;

C.taking of minnows is prohibited, except under special permit issued by the commissioner; and

D.possession or use of minnows as bait, except live leeches and processed minnows in a dried, frozen, or pickled condition, is prohibited.

was out on Square today for a bit and didnt catch anything. tried in about 10 feet of water off to the left of the access using a small jig/waxie. anyone having any luck out there or any helpful tips? honestly i have never eaten a rainbow and would love to take one home to try it.

The most consistant bite has been in the mornings. Other than that, sounds like you are in a good spot useing good bait.

I have had better luck in water just a bit more shallow than that, but try it in the morning if you're really interested catching some. Get set up by 7:00 and try to be as quiet as you can in the shallow water. Bite has been pretty decent till about 9:00.

Good luck.

I think i'm going to try square either Friday or sat. I got a couple trout two years ago but came up empty handed last year after trying it for a few days. I believe I was in about 7-8 fow using grubs and small crappie minnows. do people prefer going left or right of the landing or is the only thing that matters is to be in that key depth? I am able to get trout on square in the summer but for some reason trout fishing in winter for me has been a challenge. Oh well still fun just to be out. good luck to all.

MN Angler

Tried it again this afternoon/evening fished in 5 feet to about 13 saw some stuff 2 feet off the bottom in about 7-10 feet of water otherwise my shallow holes and deep holes showed no activity. Had one nice bite steal my waxie then nothing for a while so I tried some Euro Larvae and caught a 10 inch pike. Otherwise no luck. Also had a crappie minnow on a gold hook below a bobber the whole time anywhere from 3 ft below the ice to a foot off the bottom but nothing seemed to care for that. Guess Ill keep trying new spots til I get into some of them.

Sign says park opens at 7:00, closes 1/2 hr after sunset, but the gate is never closed. Fee is $5 daily or $25 anually. There is an honor box at the entrance. County boys are down there checking a lot.

I'm heading out there right now. grin

I used to live in Stillwater and Square Lake was my favorite place to fish. Fun to catch trout and Atlantic Salmon so close to home. Boy do they fight. I used little shiners and fatheads in winter and crawlers in summer. I used to go only a few hundred yards from the access on the left side in about 10 FOW where I could still see the bottom. Right out from those cabins. Saw lots of fish cruising by, caught some. One day I decided to do something different so I went right out into the middle in I think about 40 - 60 FOW. Noone fished there. Well I saw fish at different depths on my Vexilar and caught them too. What a blast!! I even used Square Lake as a place to practice downrigging. Have to go in a circle since it is such a small lake but it was fun too. I caught a 5 lb. Rainbow once. I had some kids with me that didn't get to fish much so that made it twice as much fun.... I liked to smoke the fish I caught there. Excellent!!! Good Luck on Square...

One more thing. Sometimes I used corn or a minnow head on a colored hook with colored beads above the hook. Lots of times no matter what I used for bait when I was looking down my holes ( I used to lay on the floor) I would see fish hit my baits and not even open their mouths. They would cruise by in packs of 2 - 5 fish. Every once in a while I would catch a northern too.