• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Square Lake

DonBo

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Square opened yesterday, June 6. I'm gonna try it tonight unless the storms come through again. Anyone else?

Just got back. No problem catching a limit tonight. Caught 3, kept 2 in just over an hour. 35-40 fow.

Think ice fishing, vertical presentations, small bobbers and hooks, waxie, maggot, corn or even marshmellows a piece of crawler. You can also use a split shot with a crawler/worm down on the bottom with a touch of air to float it but on square I'd stay above or into the fish vs. the bottom. Sometimes they will take a simple bobber and split shot with a hook 3-5' below the surface. Locate the fish and drop to that level and wait. If the water temps are low enough or you are seeing some surface activity then look to small spinners and spoons cast and slowly retrieved. With little ones you might well be better served fishing for pannies because it can be a bit, between bites or they can be on fire and you are in and out in 30-40 minutes. Donbo seems to have a good handle on the bite and he would probably help you out as well. Hope that helps.

Tunrevir~

I have been finding them in 35-40 fow. They can be anywhere from up high to 5' off the bottom. Most of my fish have been caught from 10' off the bottom to about half way up.

I use corn on a #8 gold or bronze hook. I have recently seen people catching them trolling spinners and small spoons with just a small weight.

READ THE MESSAGE BOARD AT THE RAMP! Lot's of special regulations concerning speed and wakes on this lake.

Good luck, let us know how you do.

Haven't fished square since the 90's, but used to do pretty good. we used to troll leadcore with about a 20-30 yard mono leader. pulled jointed rapalas and spoons mostly. a few over 20 inches and the atlantic salmon was always a treat!

I dont know of anyone who has got an Atlantic out of there, thats really cool. I heard they stocked them years ago but have never heard of anyone catching one. How big were they? I am also pretty sure I have seen big brown trout swimming around in winter, anyone ever catch any of those?

Atlantic Salmon are a thing of the past. They did not do well there so stocking was stopped. Heard rumors of some big browns but I have never seen one.

Biggest rainbows I've caught have been 17+".

yeah, the Salmon thing was short lived, but fun while it lasted. we never got anything huge, about the same as the trout. lots of teens and a handful over 20 inches.

Square lake is huge for scuba divers and I once talked to a few about what they saw down there. They said they routinely saw pike that looked to be 20 lbs. plus. I suppose its likely if they are feeding on the fatty trout

Went today with the kids. Slip bobber 1/2 crawler 40 fow. Caught 3, my 5 year old had one break his line next to the boat. The biggest was 14" had a blast. My 10 year old daughter got 1 my 5 year old son caught one.. dad and I got skunked but thats cool with me

Slow night, caught one pretty early, then nothing. Talked to just about everyone on the lake (not many on a Monday night) and most had the same luck.

The one I caught was on a rapala (#7 black/silver)slow trolled about 25' down in 40' of water. At the end of the day there were some fish on the surface, so I trolled the same bait back to the ramp with only a big split shot and had one on, but lost him. frown

Tried corn, crawlers, spinners, as did everyone else. Just didn't happen. Was a beautiful night though.

glad you had a nice evening, I have had more luck also trolling vs. bobber/jigging. orange crawler harnesses as well as 1/4 oz little cleos with different amounts of weight added. Not sure how deep they were down but trolled in anywhere from 11 feet out to 40