• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Live Bait Choice

What seems to be working best for walleye live bait on the lakes in the Forest Lake, Chisago, Center City areas right now. Does one work better than another depending on the time of day? Are fatheads or other minnows better in the evening and leaches better rigged during the day? Are the deep water eyes taking different bait than the shallow ones?

I don't fish those lakes so I can't give you any current info.

You could also try this in the East Central Lakes forum.

So not having any current info on the bite on those lakes, I can say that I'd rather fish minnows over leeches and they'd be my first choice at this time of year. But I'd bring leeches along too, especially if I thought I might do some rigging or bobbber fishing.

Fuzzbient, Flake can be good with both leeches and minnows. Sometimes the golden shiners work better then fatheads but they are tough to keep alive. Short leader of 20" to a floating jighead with an 1/8 oz walking sinker. Just drag them along the weedlines, deepside during the day and shallow side in the evening. One day they show a preference for leeches and the next it could be shiners or fatties. Slip bobbing along the weed edges in the evening with shiners can produce some nice sized crappies as well as walleyes. Look to those areas that you caught fish this winter as they should hold fish. I like to target the 8' range this time of year. The fish are generally scattered so drifting rigs and pulling them along slowly with the electric can be good presentations. If you want to stay away from the live bait then cast countdown raps, rattleraps and #5 shadraps along the edges of the weeds towrds dark. My experience is mainly on Forest. Casting jigs in these same areas can be productive as well but then I usually opt for the cranks.

Tunrevir~

Thanks for the advice Tunrevir! I have had trouble keeping the shiners alive too. Bought a scoop last weekend in the evening and by morning when I went out to use them they were all dead, every single one. I ended up using the 3" gulp minnows instead since they don't die and did well for the crappies. The walleyes only nibbled at them a little bit. With the negative bite I'll give live a try again if I can keep them alive.

i have been fishing the area you requested and have had best luck on fatheads so far for walleyes,few on small shiners, and leeches havent produced at all, seeming to like small light presentation. Northerns are liking the shiners and small suckers right now. Gulp alive minnows have done very good for me the last 2 times out.was out yesterday and water temps were in low 60's