Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CycloneFisherman

I do not know how to fish for Walleye.

17 posts in this topic

Ok I hate to admit it but I live in Minnesota and I do not know how to fish for walleye. I grew up in Iowa and my family focused on Bass and Panfish. I have lived up here for five years and I want to start learning how to focus on walleye.

Any recommendations on how to start out and gain some experience? I am thinking about focusing on jigging this summer or live bait with slip bobbers. FWIW I typically fish west metro lakes lakes of roughly 150-250 acres.

Sorry for such a broad question I just want to get a nudge in the right direction.

Well when i fish around home i usally fish for anything that i can catch whether walleye, bass, pike or panfish. Most times its later in the evening after work so casting shoreline with raps or rattle traps you can catch walleye, bass, and pike at the same time. This normally works really good in small shallow lakes that are stocked with walleye. Some of my biggest fish are caught right after dark or when the bugs usally chase you off the lake. FYI dont give up on reeling in either those shallow water walleye will hit it two feet from the boat and hit harder than a bass or pike. You just never know what you have until you see it.

Grab a stack of InFisherman from the 80's and 90's off hsolist - and start reading. I learned SO much from them - it's incredible. The inFish and Angling Edge videos are also good.

Also - maybe a day on the water with a guide like the "Grizz" would also really put you in the right direction.

Hope this gets you started thinking in the right direction...

FWIW I typically fish west metro lakes lakes of roughly 150-250 acres.

Here's a problem -- the lakes you're talking about are probably not very good walleye lakes to start with, and on top of that walleyes in many metro lakes are weed-oriented fish that don't behave like "normal" walleyes are supposed to behave.

The problem with trying to learn how to fish walleyes on lakes like this is that your best days are likely to yield only a few fish at best.

Also, tactics and locations will change during the course of the year. Right now the fish are still shallow, ie. really shallow, at least a low-light times of the day. But the weeds are growing and the water is warming and soon weedlines and scattered weeds/rocks will be better locations.

Techniques to fish metro weed walleyes include jig/minnow, live bait rigs, and slip bobbers on the weedlines. You'll catch lots of other species while looking for your walleyes. If live bait rigging a leech or a powercrawler will help stop the panfish from wrecking your bait ---- a real nightcrawler won't last long. Another good technique for metro weed walleyes is plastic swimbaits or crankbaits on the weed edges, or over the tops of deep weeds.

Good luck, I hope this helps.

Learning the fine points of working a jig is very basic to walleye fishing. For the lakes you will be fishing I'd concentrate on the deep weed edges. Let it fall on a tight line and watch your line. The fish can hit on the drop and you probably won't feel it, but you will see the line jump (unless it's windy). You'll know it's on the bottom when your line goes slack. After that work it back with a steady retrieve or a hop, it depends on the mood of the fish. You'll get a lot of bass and northerns doing this as well.

You have fished other species so I assume you know where to hook bait on a jig?

I few guys said it but I would go with a jig and minnow and or a lindy rig and (minnow Leech or crawler) if you troll the weed line and dont be affraid to go up shallow.

If you try lindy rigging go slowwwwwwwwwwww just fast enough to make the spinner spin.concentrate on points and steep breaks .

I love lindys with a fathead early in the year, caught everything from sunfish to a 48" muskie on em.

Thank you all for the good advice. I know the metro lakes are not the best but I just cannot make it up north very often.

This weekend I am going to try out the jig and minnow combo and jig and gulp leech. I like the crank bait shallow idea.

I will report back later this weekend. I plan on fishing pretty much the whole three days.

Some of my best days have involved letting the wind blow me accross the lake dragging a Lindy rig.....you can cover a lot of ground this way and it helps save on gas! In the UP of MI, slip bobbers are used a lot and do well once a structre/crib is found.

While fishing in the Metro, I would focus your efforts towards cover and fish for walleyes like you'd be fishing for bass.

The best places to start off around the metro would probably be in the river. It's not your classic walleye fishing but they're a lot easier to find on rivers.

I'm with the OP of this thread - I've grown up learning to fish bass, panfish, and pike, not nearly as much walleye as I would like to have. So I'm wondering, and I know no one is going to give up spots especially on this lake, but what type of structure should I look for on a lake like Minnetonka? Lately we've fished shallow. 10' and less, pretty strictly. Rocks, points, and islands. Most of our fishing has been lindy rigs & slip bobbers with shiners or a leech, or cranks in these same few areas. Haven't tried much for weedlines, maybe that? I'd say our main spot has been around Spirit Island - this isn't really a secret though.

I've been bass fishing past dark before, as was recommended, but I think I've not gotten a handful of eyes out of Tonka, and I know the only large walleye my father has caught recently from Tonka was doing this, basically.

I've really gone gung ho towards getting them to bite this year, I've been on quite a few very quiet trips trying new things. Just hoping to get zeroed in a little bit.

Since you want to learn to fish for walleye, I would suggest trying to get to a few of the great walleye fisheries in Minnesota (at least a few times a year.) Get better while actually catching walleye consistantly.

I also grew up catching panfish. Walleye were just the things I happened to catch sometimes in my favorite sunfish bed. Now I go out at least once a year with a Walleye Guide, I pick different times of the year so I learn different techniques. After a few years, I am actually getting to be pretty good. I at least am having good success and with limited amounts of water time.

If you are looking for a quick and inexpensive outing, let me know. I can help this spring.

My first advice would be to get on the DNR HSOforum and check their catch data for the lakes in your area and try to find what look like the better walleye waters in your area. Even if they're not great at least they're the best in your area. If you got a jig and a minnow you can catch walleyes. On smaller weedy lakes you can probably fish'm like you bass fish. Pitch a jig along deep weed edges during the day and shallow rocks or wood closer to evening. Understand that on these typical Bass/Panfish type lakes that a day with a couple walleyes and few bonus bass is a good day. If you can find more traditional walleye waters look for shallow rocky points during the low-light periods and vertical jig sunkin' humps and islands near those points during the day. That should at least get ya started. There is a lot of good info out there if you want to get more in depth than that. I feel the videos from IN-F and Edge have better info than the mags now days. It seems to me that the mags today are more concerned with selling stuff than puting out good info, but the videos are very helpful. Especially the IN-Fisherman Vids from the 80's and early 90's. Hope this helps. Good Luck.

Thank you all for the good advice. I know the metro lakes are not the best but I just cannot make it up north very often.

This weekend I am going to try out the jig and minnow combo and jig and gulp leech. I like the crank bait shallow idea.

I will report back later this weekend. I plan on fishing pretty much the whole three days.

You don't need to head up north. Try the Croix or the Sippi. Both are great walleye fisheries. If you really want to learn try going out with a guide. I went out with Turk yesterday. Been fishing eyes my whole life and yet learned so much in those eight hours it's not even funny. If you don't have money for a guide, look in the metro section under Open Seats and try to get out with someone from here. The more you fish with others, the more you learn and the more fun you have. Meeting people and making friends is one of the great part of the outdoors and this site.

You can see how we did with Turk here Trip With Turk

Hey I live in your neck of the woods (Eden Prairie) and haven't tried for walleyes yet this year. I fish a lot of the lakes around the area and know of a bite going on (as of last Saturday).

I'm not sure of this weekend's schedule but we could try for a few hours - do some lindy rigging. Let me know if this is something you would be interested in.

Dale

Cherokee,

I took my family out in Eden Prairie this weekend and my grandma caught a 17" walleye on a jig and worm. It cracked us up. She is up here for 10 minutes and catches a walleye and I catch about 2 a year.

I would be interested in meeting you out on a lake sometime. I have been fishing Bryant lake and Lake Riley lately. It is amazing how early the guys get out for eyes on Riley. I was out at 5 am and they already had several boats on the peninsula out there.