• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trailering question.....

weld1

Originally Posted By: solbes
My first year with the boat I pulled out of the Independence launch in Baker Park. No pin and it came off the hitch. Drag... Good thing I at least had the safety chains crossed on or the trailer would have sunk.

Ever since I've always used a lock to keep it on. I always pull up on the trailer too to make sure the hitch is engaged.

It doesn't take long for us to learn does it.

PS Hi from a former Ramsey resident, how is the traffic rat race down there

I heard there's going to be a massive exudus to Grand Rapids up to 150,000 people by the end of june . gringrin Some day I'm going to be living up north even if in a old shack in the middle of the woods.

I will admit I was lucky once. My buddy and I loaded up his boat in St. Paul for a week on a lake outside outside of Isabella. we left the cities around5:30 AM. His boat, his vehicle, I was driving since he was a little under the weather (bottle flu). Anyway, we were going to stop in Moose Lake for breakfast but decided to stop in two harbors at McD's instead.

As we passed the 2nd moose lake exit, a state trooper pulled onto the I35 and proceeded to pass us extremely slowly. Couldn't figure it out, he took a long time to get past us. Of course the back of the boat was full of our fishing and camping stuff, so we thought maybe he was day dreaming about taking a few days off as well. Well, down the hill into Duluth and we finally get to Two Harbors and McD's for a pit stop and some breakfast.

The vehicle next to us had a canoe inside of their boat and I was taking my time looking at how they had it rigged up when I thought to check the boat in case someone helped themselves to some of our stuff while we were in dining. I checked on the passnger side of the boat and as I was stepping inbetween the trailer and truck I looked down and noticed that the coupler had not been locked and the safety chains had not been hooked up.

We had driven from St. Paul ( by lake Phalen) all the way to Two Harbors (including that horrofic stretch between Hinkley and moose lake) and not having the trailer secured to the trailer.

In hindsight, I can't beleive that state trooper didn't pull us over. He had to have seen the coupler sticking up in the air and the chains crisscrossed over the tongue of the trailer.

Sorry for the long read but no easy way to tell this one. Needless to say, I always double check my trailer to make sure it is all connected.

That's a heck of a story. Glad you made it up there. Too bad the trooper didn't say something, you would they they would. Maybe he was just looking at your camping gear though. Where by Phalen do you live? I live behind where the old SuperValue used to be.

That kinda stuff makes you sweat a bit when you see it. I am pretty sure having the boat loaded down and a lot of tongue weight is what saved your butt cool If you look at it from a stand point of tongue weight it takes quite a bit to bounce a trailer tongue up high enough to have it come off. But if you would have gotten off the main road at Isabella it would probably have got bouncy enough to cause you some problems.