• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The weather has been changing so much and we just haven't had a good stretch of warm weather, so the fish are still fairly scattered. But, on a good note in about the last week they walleyes have been schooling up a little. They have been biting on Lindy rigs and spinners tipped with either crawlers or minnows. The depths have been varying but I have had my best luck in about 12-15 feet of water. The biggest problem so far this year has been catching fish under 20" to fill your limit. Fish over 20" have been very plentiful this spring.

I plan on fishing the mobridge area this june where are some of the early hot spots and what seems the best approach to catch some walleyes. Never fished SD so looking for any good advice.

In June the eyes are usually on a good bite and can be caught most anywhere. Crawlers work well at this time and my brother and I usually pull crankbaits with good success. The best bet is to ask at a bait shop for specific directions. Since we are only allowed one eye over 20" per day, your biggest problem may be catching them under 20". My beother and I were out there for three weeks last June with great results and we were there in November for a week and never kept a limit because we couldn't catch many under 20".

There are a lot of places to fish from shore in Chamberlain. I'd say the one of the best spots would be off the rocks in Pontoon Bay. Just drive over the north bridge (not the interstate) and you'll see several people fishing.

There's a bypass road that heads north just East of town. Follow this road and it will take you the bridge. There's also a bait shop about two blocks East of the bridge. They might be able to help you.

Good Luck!

there are some good spots. I wont go into to too many details but here is some quick advice.

The best time is usually towards the end of april, but with the recent snow in that area, and Chamberlin got dumped on, I think the water temp will be a lot cooler for a bit longer than it usually is.

there is a rocky area on the south side of the river that has access down to it. there are alot of rocks to get snagged on but if the wind is blowing right you can cast out past them.

best time to go is later in the afternoon in to the evening.

I'd try the whole eastern shoreline from the interstate bridge to the old indian school. We used to walk the shoreline after dark (early in the year) with big shallow diving rapala's and hammer the eyes. Last year at this time that tactic didnt work so well for me, but we ended up really getting into some fish on crappie rigs fishing off the breakwater over at cedar shores. You'll catch fish all over in Chamberlain.

Shore fishing is excellent in Chamberlain right now, in all of the places mentioned above.

Water conditions and temps are another story,

Water temp is 5-10 degrees below what it was 3 weeks ago. Fish are still extremely green and deep.

Fish are biting from Platte Creek to the dam, although finding fish that measure, is tough.

I believe that the better fish maybe spawned prior to the foul weather of the last couple weeks and will be on a post spawn feed soon. Time will tell.

Havent been out since the last report. Word Im getting is that south is where the better fish are right now.

I could only guess at the WT, and that would be low to mid 40s. based on the weather theyve been having.

Things are gonna heat up on Wed though.

Just got back home from Chamberlain. Fished Wednesday-Friday. Wednesday was pretty good, had my limit of keepers by noon. Caught a few right away around 6am right in the rocks on crankbaits. Then the bite moved 4-5 feet deeper and I got my fish on slip bobbers and fatheads. On Thursday, it was extremely hot with almost no wind. I was still able to scratch out some fish, again with slip bobbers though slightly deeper. The wind picked up significantly Thursday night into Friday and things got ugly. On Friday all of the boats were fishing the south side of the causeway in town to get out of the wind - with not too many fish caught. I braved the wind with my bobbers and fished the north side for a couple of hours. I caught better sized fish (up to 20") in those conditions than the past couple of days. With rain and snow forcast for the weekend, my fair weather friends decided to pull the pin on our fishing weekend. We spent the weekend hitting up the urban wildlife scene in Sioux Falls and Sioux City instead.

The spawn is definitely on right now. On Thursday almost every fish I caught had one or two other males chase right back to shore. Once it gets dark, the fish are right up shallow in the rocks. Most locals are getting fish off shore right before dark pitching jigs up and down the shoreline for a couple of miles. Didn't get any whitebass this time, but did get a couple of decent smallies.

I am sure they have fishable ice up there by now. There isn't alot of places to gain access. The ones I remember are corp bay (just north of the dam, east side. Twin bay, west side; 5-10 miles north of the dam? Spring creek, Okobojo, Sutton's bay, Pike Haven; all on the east side. That'll get you up to Gettysburg. I don't know the area north of that. I do know that Mobridge would be a place to check out. Very cold tonight and then warmer by the weekend. This weekend might be the perfect time to give it a try. Good luck!