• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Time to get rid of my Ram 1500 quad cab..need some info please

GotOne

Question

I need to get something more economical. I pull a 18' Alumacraft boat and a small utility trailer, so I can do without a full size truck. What SUV do you all think has the most room, best fuel economy and still pull my boat without any problems? One more thing, I would like to do a "even up" type trade with a dealer. Mine is a 2002, 5.9 -83,000, what year type could I expect to get on trade? Thanks for your thoughts.

15 answers to this question

What kind of Alumacraft do you have? Tiller or console? Loaded down or do you carry light? An SXT 02 Ram with your miles in the NADA book, trade-in value is around 9 grand. To pull anything without goin to big or too small I would say a Jeep Grand Cherokee with the V8 Would work for you. For the most part they average the same MPG's as the 4.0 I6. Highway you should get 18, driven nice. I would say a similar year and miles as your dodge should be around the same money on the bottom line. Another vehicle you could look at would be a Trailblazer/Envoy an 02-4 should be in your price range. These rigs usually carry a 16-20 mpg average. They also should pull your boat nicely.

It's a side console, with a 115hp merc. I had a jeep several years ago and I thought the inside room was pretty tight. How about a Ford Explorer for size/comfort/pulling power? Never been in an Envoy, how are they for room? Will dealers work with me on a full size truck or don't they want them-so I'm thinking I would take a beating on a trade?

The only problem would be the Dodge Part of it;) The 5.9 is a guzzler but it still has some trade appeal. I would say check some of the carsoups/ autotraders for envoys trailblazers in your area then get some trade-in prices from them.

I'll throw in my .02. Don't expect to get the trade in value off the web or any other popular publications. Those companies have released statements that they can't possibly keep up with the diminishing value of them. Every time the gas station flips those numbers up, your Ram looses value. There's also a huge supply of 4x4's for sale and nobody is buying them. Don't have high hopes for a big trade in value.

I agree with Musky Madness. You can print that out the NADA and take it in with you and they will just laugh and say "Good luck with that". I've never seen anyone get an "even up" trade for they're vehicle going to another. You might be better off trying to sell your ride on Car Soup or Craig's List and then buying another ride with the cash. You can do better by looking on line or if you go to a dealer with cash and say "this is what I'm gonna pay for that" you have more pull. If they say they won't take it, start walking out, if it's reasonable, they'll take it. I've done it a few times where I get the loan first and say I will write a check for that for this amount and always get my way.

I was thinking with the price of gas, I might take a beating. I don't like selling things out-right, just afraid something might break down or go wrong with the truck after I sell it. Trading it is kinda a guilt free way of unloading it. I never tried a "even up or almost even up type deal", I bet a dealer would have fun with that one-at my expense. Thanks all for getting back to me.

You have very good intentions and common sense says this should work out nicely. However, you would take a beating on your trade and end up getting way less than what you'd be giving them. Having been in the car business in the past and doing a few of these deals I would expect you would probably end up with something @ 2 years older with about the same amount of miles---if not more. It's the wholesale -vs- reatail thing and if you go to a dealer I will guarentee that you will want to pull the hair out of your head before you end up leaving. I wish you good luck!

Ooh, sweet truck with a torquey engine. What kind of mileage are you getting? Maybe try to get better mileage out of your rig instead of taking a big hit on a trade?

My 4.7L QC Dakota used to get between 13-15. After going through some of the improvements I'm up 20% to 15-18. There is a transmission software flash that someone figured out for the 4.7L where I can gain an extra overdrive gear and get another 2 mpg on the highway, then I would be up 33%. I think I should end up better than most SUV's with an 8 cylinder.

Keeping fresh plugs, tonneau cover, free breathing intake, tires slightly over PSI, and changed fluids to synthetic (about 1.5 mpg right there: oil, tranny, differentials, & transfer case).

You might also consider trading for a Chevy half ton. They seem to get 19 or 20 on the highway right from the start. Could probably improve to 21 or 22 without too much work.

Pulling a boat with any vehicle is going to make the fuel mileage take a hit, and any vehicle that has enough power and stability to handle towing a boat comfortably will not get much better fuel mileage than what you have.

You could take the few thousand that you would get screwed out of by trading it at a dealer and buy a tiny little daily driver that gets 30+ mpg and save the truck for pulling the boat to the lake.

But then again, I am biased because I like my Hemi!

Ya, going to keep it for now and try to swing buying a decent smaller car to chase around in. Sux, stepping down, I have always been a big vehicle person.

Ya, going to keep it for now and try to swing buying a decent smaller car to chase around in. Sux, stepping down, I have always been a big vehicle person.

I think you're going the right route on this. I'm lucky the wife and I work in the same building so we just use the car. Really saves on gas to only use the truck for the boat and hunting. I do like driving it better than the car though.