• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Father / Son 2009 Trip

I am in the extended process of getting a kitchen pass to take my two boys to Canada sometime in the first three weeks of June 2009. I love to fish and am a pretty avid angler here in Minnesota. The boys (ages 11 and 9) do not share my enthusiasm just yet. This trip is going to be key. I'm looking for help on where to go. I want to get them into some of the numbers that I've heard Canada can put up - - walleye and pike. Trophy fish are a secondary concern, as I'm die hard CPR (with the exception of smaller fish for the pan). The lake / resort needs to be accessable by road and perferrably provide quality equipment (boat). We'd do our own cooking and I'd like to stay in Ontario. Could I please have your advice? Thanks so much in advance, I can't wait!!

Rambler51-

I'm taking my two boys (ages 13 and 10) to Eagle Lake this Saturday for a week of fishing. Eagle Lake is near Dryden, ON, which is about 125 miles north of International Falls. This will be my older boys 5th trip and my younger son will be making his 1st trip this year. We've always had great luck catching "eater" walleyes for the shore lunches, as well as catching a few "monster" fish. Plenty of pike and smally action as well.

There are quite a few decent to nice resorts to stay at with cabins you can do your own cooking in.

Eagle Lake was one area that I was strongly considering. Have you ever been there in early June and what is the fishing pressure like? I really appreciate the help!!

I'm partial to LOTW out of Morson. Fantastic walleye fishing and should be easy to catch in June. Northerns should be around as well. There's also picturesque scenery (think boundary waters on a large scale). Plus, it's an easy trip through Baudette as well (about 40 minutes).

I'd look at Buena Vista and Obabikon Bay resort out of Morson. There's a number of other goods ones as well.

Call Pat or Marnie at White Birch Lodge in Sioux Narrows, ON. We have used their lodge for almost 20 years now. We use our own boats, but they have some great plans and great guides.

( Note from admin, please read forum policy before posting again,thank-you.)

Eagle Lake was one area that I was strongly considering. Have you ever been there in early June and what is the fishing pressure like? I really appreciate the help!!

We are usually up there the last week of May/first week of June. Not a lot of pressure on the lake yet. The walleyes are usually a few weeks past spawn and generally pretty hungry and still concentrated in the shallows (creek mouths, warm bays and rocky points off of the bays). We find that jig and minnow is the best setup and find that black, burnt orange and chartreusse are the best colors, although be ready to experiment with other colors as well. We'll use 1/16 oz in less than 10' and 1/8 oz when we get deeper than 10'. Crankbaits work for larger eyes, smallmouth and pike. Mepps spinners and other spinner baits, smaller buck tails and spoons work great for Pike. Muskie isn't open yet at that time of year, but there is a good chance that one will hit your lure so always be ready for that. We've had Muskies over 45" hit while jigging for walleyes in the shallows.

We've never had bad luck up there when it comes to catching fish.

Scenery is also spectacular. Lots of wildlife and plenty of islands to put those freshly caught Canadian Walleyes in a frying pan over a fire. I find that kids really have a good time with that, almost as much fun as their dad does!!! whistle

Like I said before, we're heading up there this weekend for a week of fishing. We can hardly wait. When I get back, I'll post a report.

Thanks for your thoughts - - I've got some time to research this a bit more, which I plan to do. The problem, of course, is that I have to wait an entire year to get up there!!!! Thanks again and good luck fishing!

Dog Lake by Thunder Bay is always good. Only one resort on the lake. Been there a few times - very reasonable price usually. Not much as far as big fish but always lots of numbers. Maybe even consider the house boats if you want something different. They throw a fishing boat and motor in on that deal.

DD