• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Painting Stucco

Sandmannd

Painting should be your last resort. Once you start painting you won't be able to stop and it will become a fairly regular thing. Consider calling a stucco company and ask for a quote on 'redashing'. In that process they put on another top coat of stucco. It will be a bit pricey but that should take care of things for a very long time. It also gives you the chance to change colors or texture.

I have painted stucco in the past. As stated above once you start, you will have to keep painting. Stucco is create, so latex is your material of choice. I thing I used Supper Paint from Sherwin for the job. Contact a paint store like Sherwin or Hirshfields. THey will stear you in the right direction.

I say paint until you need new windows. Then get new windows, doors, and stucco. Besides mold, the windows are the biggest problem wit stucco. You need to be able to get them out and replaced as they only last 15-20 years or so.

I hate painting and I have no idea why someone would want to paint their house, and keep painting it, but that is what I would do in your situation.

I have painted for 20 years. I agree with Tom. If it is not painted now I would not ever paint it. I would save some cash and have it re-dashed. If you paint it and then later decide to re dash(stucco) it will have to be sandblasted to remove the paint.

If you do decide to paint dont cut cost on paint. Use something high quality like Sherwin williams Duration. Or elastomeric.

Sandmann

If you like I could get you the number for my stucco contractor. I do stucco tear offs then they re-apply the stucco for me. He would gladly come out and give you an estimate for a re-dash. I could email you the info if you would like.

Hammer

I say paint until you need new windows. Then get new windows, doors, and stucco. Besides mold, the windows are the biggest problem wit stucco. You need to be able to get them out and replaced as they only last 15-20 years or so.

I hate painting and I have no idea why someone would want to paint their house, and keep painting it, but that is what I would do in your situation.

Got new windows two years ago. It looks fine, but the house is white and kinda has a "dirty" look to it. Just kinda wanted to freshen it up you know.

Sandmann

If you like I could get you the number for my stucco contractor. I do stucco tear offs then they re-apply the stucco for me. He would gladly come out and give you an estimate for a re-dash. I could email you the info if you would like.

Hammer

Hammer, that would be great. Can you email me at [email protected] please?

Got new windows two years ago. It looks fine, but the house is white and kinda has a "dirty" look to it. Just kinda wanted to freshen it up you know.

Have you tried Crud Cutter house wash and a preasure washer? If you are just looking to freshen and clean it up, that will do the job.

I get mine at menards, but it is available at home depot as well, usualy in the paint department. I dilute it in a 5 gallon pail with about 3 gallons of watter and apply it with a garden pump type sprayer. If it is realy dirty, the foaming head will let it set on the wall a little longer. Give it about 10 min or so to work, then rinse off with the preasure washer.

Strait crud cutter, not the house wash, will do the job as well or better. But it will eat some paints, so if you stucco has been painted it is best to test it so you dont strip your finish.

I pressure washed my mothers stucco with just water and it made a big difference.

My house is also stucco and I painted it 18 years ago. Used a sprayer and did two coats. It still looks good and has not been painted since. The only reason I painted is that the previous owner had painted a couple of panels and you could see the painted vs unpainted sections. My first coat was a top line Enterprise brand (since out of business) and the second coat was Sherwin-Williams brand.