• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lowrance 522c for ice fishing?

Cove

We purchased the 334 for our boat a few years back and really liked it. I noticed that it had an ice fishing package (PPP-16i) you could purchase for it last year and bought it over the summer. Working with it so far this year has been great particularly the GPS function and finding different depths and structures to fish. I have had one instance this year where the GPS was a problem (1st time in three years with the unit). This the first time it has been used in flasher mode and I am liking it so far. As far as the transducer mount for the unit - I kinda like it. You can position it to the side of the hole (10") and it does not get in the way of the line in the hole as I suspect would be the issue with the VEX float (don't know - never have used one). All and all I think its a great year around tool.

try looking on [YouNeedAuthorization], there is a place in the metro that has them or at least he did its called Fishlectronics

I bought one for my 520C and love it, it does not like working in water less then 6ft it looses the bottom when a fish comes through in the center of the cone. but other then that it works great. http://www.fishlectronics.com/

Thanks for tip I called them and it appears the entire country is out of Lowrance Blue connector Ice Ducers.

Anybody have an extra let me know..LOL

mnwalleye67... do you have the latest software upgrade on your Sonar/gps?

I believe the latest version is 2.4.5 and it is suppose to help with the shallow water issue that you are having.

You can find the latest software upgrades on the Lowrance HSOforum.

I have a 522 for my boat and just bought the ice kit last week. I had a gift card to Gander that I wanted to use but none of the stores in the metro area had them. They were all sold out so I called the Gander store in Greenbay, WI and they shipped it to me. Gander sells them for $150. It cost me $170 for the Greenbay store to ship. I haven't had a chance to use it yet. I'm looking forward to it. One thing I am not impressed with is how the unit is stored in the canvas bag. The way the transducer mounts on a swing arm and metal rod doesn't fit in the bag too well and I can see the metal rod getting bent eventually.

I ditched the metal rod for mine - I just run the wire to the transducer through the grommet that is "supposed" to hold the metal rod. That holds the wire good and snug and I just drop it through the hole. If I need to change the length of wire (as the ice thickens) I just loosen the grommet and change accordingly. I do not use a float or anything, just swing the arm out and drop the ducer down through the hole - very simple and similer to my "old" zercom unit. Putting away I just wind the wire around the ducer and tuck in the side of the case - not the greatest but it has worked so far. Hope this help - Paul

i have heard there is interferance between the 522 and other units such as a vex or marcum......we didn't have any probs while fishing on Red but have never used them side by side in deeper water....anybody have interferance troubles?...thanks

i have heard there is interferance between the 522 and other units such as a vex or marcum......we didn't have any probs while fishing on Red but have never used them side by side in deeper water....anybody have interferance troubles?...thanks

Actually there is more interference between Lowrance products then the other manufacturers. The transducer frequency is to similar.

so which one has the bigger problem the guy with the 522 or the guy with the vexilar....bigger problem as in more interfence or which one sees the interfernce.....i.e when i fish with my vex near a marcum my vex shows the interference while the marcum shows nothing.......thanks

Old thread Id like to reopen because i use the 522 all summer and am in market for flasher for winter. From reading these older posts its almost a no brainer to get the ice pack for the 522 and use it. Likes - dislikes? If i use in a wheelhouse will gps work? and if not will it decrease battery life searching for siganl? How is the battery life? Thanks

3prong,

I just openend this thread for the first time so I don't know what has been shared in the previous pages. I've gone the route of the ice pack for a 522 for ice fishing and can honestly say the best thing about it is the GPS for travelling. As far as depth finding and fish locating go, especially in a wheel house, you are way better off with a quality flasher.

Battery life is short due to the GPS constantly searching. You can hide the GPS features but cannot turn them off. Along with the lit backscreen and color display, your amp hours get eaten up pretty fast. In addition, the return isn't as fast as a regular flasher so it might be close but it isn't real time.

I now only use my ice pack rigged 522 to set on the dash of my sled and turn on the GPS for a constant visual roadmap of the lake while travelling. This is ESPECIALLY helpful in the dark. I spent the money for a quality flasher and am much happier

thanks for the info. i have an old original clearwater classic that i actually still use and really like. battery will last whole weekend. only reason considering the lowrance is because the ice pack is $160 vs $350-$450+ for new vex or lx. i do need something new. Do the markums make as much noise as the vexilars? im sure newer ones are quieter but my guess is the lowrance is noiseless like the old cc.

I was running an original fl8 when I decided to get the ice pack for my 522 for that same reason. $$$. I bought my whole ice pack in the B cave at the C store so that saved me some but in the end, after I dropped the additional $$$ on an LX 5 I haven't been happier. The new flashers are quiet.

I like the fact that I have the larger screen GPS to put on my dash but that's all I use it for now. It would have been cheaper to just lay down the coin for a good modern flasher in the first place.

Good luck with whatever you choose. smile