• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lowrance 522c for ice fishing?

Cove

Folks, who among you has used the 522c for ice fishing? How does it compare with a classic flasher like the Vexlar Fl-20 or the Marcums? Is it quick and responsive so you can see fish moving in on your jig? Good seperation?

I own a 520c, same unit with external gps. It is a awesome unit I use it ice fishing and then in the front of my boat in summer. I have it hooked up to my main graph in my boat so I can transfer waypoints between the two units. You will love the 522c.

The 522c doesn,t react as fast as the Vex or Marcum will, but the seperation is awesome. I use it on the graph split screen so I have zoom on one side. One line is your bait and for a sinker if using one and when the fish show up it is a thick red line.

I have photos of it when I was ice fishing if you want I can email them to you.

I used my 522c this winter alongside my Marcum LX5. Response is just as fast in flasher mode as the LX5 and with the additional colors available on the 522c the separation is better. The 522 is a great ice unit. You also have the option to use it in regular graph mode which most Lowrance users do. the 522c takes a little more setup time than a Vex or Marcum but it is equal in ice performance once done. I set my 522 up on a blue Genz box and a RAM mount. The only complaint I have is while the Marcum and the 522 can be used in the same shelter a Lowrance x67c would not play with the 522c at all - guess the transducer frequency is just to close.

I liked using the 522C last winter and really liked it because I could mark where I caught fish and return to the same spot. This summer I have been marking contour and other places I plan to go when the water gets hard again. The only drawback I found was a lot of interference if fishing near other people. I don't know what the other people were using but sometimes the interference made it unusable. I could use it next to my CountDown though. If you are considering getting one of the Lowrance ice packs it would be advisable to get it ordered before the ice fishing season starts because it took almost 2 months for mine to get shipped.

I have the 334 with the ice pack and absolutely love it. You really have so much control over how to view the sonar. The GPS is great, and the screen is so bright and readable.

I love mine and would get another if something happened to mine. All my buddies with FL-18/20s are jealous, I'll tell you that much.

They have the kit that comes with a plastic mount, the battery, cables and a nice canvas case to keep it all in. Some people will also mount theirs to a blue box or whatever. You just need a battery and a power cord.

I bought the ice pack which came with everything, but I imagine any power cord for the model will work.

I am trying to think if the 522c cable for the power and transducer signal are one connection to the unit or not. That may be the only complexity with it.

If you want the ice kit the part number is PPP-16I, and it sells for 174 bucks directly from Lowrance. It includes the ice fishing transducer, custom soft-side carry case, battery and charger.

LMS-522c-IceMachine.jpg

I like the graph view much better than the flasher view, it does take a little practice though.

IceMachine_Sonar_w_callouts.jpg

This is a great thread, folks. Thanks for all the comments, and the photos.

1. Is the 334 similar to the 522?

2. You can buy the 522c assembled in a portable winter/summer kit from Cabelas, with a soft case and a platform that holds the battery and the unit itself. But I am interested in these other options.

3. I have read that the internal gps antenna is a little fussy e.g. if you have the face of the unit tipped upward may not capture. No body on this thread mentioned anything about that.

I had purchased most of the pieces for converting my LCX-19c to an ice fishing unit, with an external gps antenna, a transducer that was actually designed to fit on electric (Lowrance apparently does not sell an ice fishing transducer for the LCX-19c). All I would have to get is the battery,then find something to mount all this too. I might go with the 522c instead after reading these reports. I have never read anything from anyone using the big LCX-19c for ice fishing and it would be a bit unwieldly.

I would love to get photos from the guy that offered to email them to me. I will make sure my email address is visable on my Profile. And the photo in note just above is really cool.

I believe the 522 replaced the 334 from what I've heard.

I know Cabelas has an Ice Pack they put together for you and sell, not sure how much it is though. I personally would get the one right from Lowrance and probably will do so.

I have had the unit out about five times now and have had no issues with the internal gps. It picks up just as good as my x15 did. Keep in mind, this would be the same as a hand held GPS and havn't had any issues with that.

IMO, if you have the money, go with the 522c and right now you get the free lakemaster chip. Put the 19c in the front of your boat.

I havent had any issues with the internal GPS. It takes a while to find the satellites when I fire it up on the other end of the state than I did last time.

the 522 is the newer replacement of the 334.

I have the kit from lowrance and have been very happy with it. The only thing I did was get a Vex float as the arm that Lowrance gives you is pretty much junk.

Just a note - the 334 internal GPS unit had a lot of problems. Lowrance redesigned it and changed the model number to 522. I have had no issues with my GPS whether it is pointed straight up or horizontal. Chode thanks for the graph shot. That's why most user prefer the graph mode over flasher.

Yeah, NP, I found it somewhere out on the net.

I love my 334 and I am sure the 522 is even better. If you already have one for your boat, I highly recommend tricking it out for the ice. You will have the best 'flasher' out on the ice.

I have been so wonderfully impressed by mine.

I'm really glad I had a chance to read all this info! been wanting to get the ice pack for my 522 this entire season but wanted to make sure it was worth it!! I know cabelas didnt have any of the ice packs as of about a week ago.. called around everywhere and sounded like it would be a while untill they got some in fyi.

try looking on [YouNeedAuthorization], there is a place in the metro that has them or at least he did its called Fishlectronics

I bought one for my 520C and love it, it does not like working in water less then 6ft it looses the bottom when a fish comes through in the center of the cone. but other then that it works great. http://www.fishlectronics.com/

You got a great deal pierbridge!! They are awesome in the summer. I've only used it once so far on the ice and it was really good then as well. MNwalleye, check out Pro Fishing Supply, I don't know if he still has any or not, but he is a great guy to deal with.

i have the m68c which is just a smaller version of the 522 and do not have any issues with the gps,it really shines walleye fishing when it it picks up those fish on the bottom that the flashers can't i don't seem to think it is any slower in graph mode than a flasher and the only interference i have ever had was fishing next to a 67c and then with a little tweaking all was well

I'm looking to get a GPS unit for fishing, can anybody advise me on what's a good descent unit for a reasonable price? Say $300-$400. What are the fairly good name brand unit out on the market today? But I am willing to pay that extra $ if I here really good things about a specific unit.

I'm looking to get a GPS unit for fishing, can anybody advise me on what's a good descent unit for a reasonable price? Say $300-$400. What are the fairly good name brand unit out on the market today? But I am willing to pay that extra $ if I here really good things about a specific unit.

Get the 522. It is a little more spendy than what you are looking for, but it is color (which goes a long way) and it is Lowrance which is great too.