• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Has anyone been up on Owen, love this lake we are coming up this weekend this is 2 weeks earlier than usual, was wondering if the same techniques work in catching some nice bucketmouths or smallies.

Hadnt been down there until today.. I seen hundreds, and I mean literally hundreds of small largies in the shallows. Most were in the 12 inch range though. Spoke to a few guys fishing bass who were actually doing better on largemouths then smallmouths, but said most were small too.

Probably because the water temps are still in the 50's. 58 is the highest I seen. Mainly 56 to 57 everywhere else. But, am sure the pre-spawn smallie bite is gonna get good here shorly on the lake.

We opted to fish crappies and did well today, until a massive cold front hit. Sight fishing in the shallows.

0526081lh8.jpg

hey jim, me and my grandpa have always heard of amazing crappie fishing out there but we never fish em'. we always stick to the smallies which are being taken over by the largemouth, i can remember being a kid and never touching a largemouth over there, now you catch more of them than smallmouths. send me an e-mail i would like to chat a little about the crappies over there. my address is my screen name at yahoo

Yeah, for sure on the largies.. They are everywhere. But the smallie bite is still strong..

The crappie fishing is okay on Owen, nothing fabulous. Pretty slow pace compared to other lakes in the area, but some big fish can be found thats for sure. Definately a lake that could use a 10 fish limit.

I'll shoot ya an e-mail here shortly.

hey jim, no e-mail yet, i understand you are a busy guy. you should fish the smallie tournament over there sometime, there is one in the spring and one in the fall, i believe that this year it is on june 28th. two man teams, top three total wieghts are in the money and biggest fish takes home money also. not sure on the amounts. always followed buy the best darn fish boil i have eaten. its a blast.