• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

$300 Question

SteeveeD

I would like to start learning to fish shakey heads and senkos this year (I'd probably throw some lighter crankbaits as well). What rod/reel combo would anyone suggest? My budget is around $300. I was thinking maybe a Shimano Saros reel with a St. Croix Avid 6'6" Medium action rod. Is that the right direction?

Personally I like the Pfleuger President with th st croix avid. have 2 of these basic set ups and they really work for plastic fishing....fast with medium/heavy power

SD, sounds like a fine combo.. I use a few different rods for shakey fishing. I have a 7'2" M action Crucial with 6lb Floro. I also have a 6' 8" M crucial 8lb copoly... In my opinion for shakey heads, you want to stay M or even ML depending on the rod. More often than not you are fishing an exposed hook and anything more than a M action is not needed.

The saros is a great reel, and cant say anything bad about the Avid,

I agree with Dietz. I personally use a 6'6" Medium action. Nice rod for this type of fishing. The reel is up to you and not as important as the rod, but in my experience if you want a reel that doesn't break, go with a shimano.

SD, the reel and rod you mentiond are perfect for shakey heads. I'm more of a Shimano person since I just moved here from Cali. Never even heard of St. Croix product till i moved here. I got a couple shimano Crucial (7'2") with the older shimano stradic reel (2500). And that setup is under $300. Just make sure the rod you select has a fast action tip, as well as a reel that is light.

Also, if you are going to spend that much on a rod, make sure there is a life time warranty.

Fish on!!!!!

I have 2 rods set up for this. Both have Shimano Stradic 2500's (90% of my spinning reels are the Stradic 2500 and I personally feel it is the best reel out there for the money, man can these things take a beating and im not on the prostaff so I have to pay full price smile )one is a G-loomis worm rod and the other is on a St Croix. Both great set ups but I find myself using the St Croix more frequently. Maybe because I had it first. I am also a big fan of the Shimano Crucial. I have the 7'2" drop shot rod with a stella 1000. This one will put you WAYYYYYYYY over budget though. Good luck on your decision. Good Fishing!!!

Here is another $300 dollar question. I am looking for a rod/reel setup for jiging. Deitz has gave me some good insight of what to look at. So I thought to ask here and see what everyone elses insight is and what they use.

What I am going to want to use this setup for is: Wacky rig/senkos, texas rig, drop-shoting, and maybe jig/pig. The light stuff with wormin maybe small light cranks too. As in I dont have a wormin setup and would really like to get one.

I have found a reel that I like. It is the new KVD quantum signature series. It is a 10 bearing real and think it would be good for what I want to do. I am open to other suggestions on reels too. I want to stay away from spinning reels and I am not a big fan of them and dont like to use them other than for walleyes.

Some rods I was looking at was the crucials 6' 10" Medium Power/Fast action. Also was thinking of the cumara too. Thing is I dont think that would be the right rod for what I want to use it for. Also would I want to go with a M or a MH power since I am throwing light jigs and worms? I like the shimano rods as Deitz got me hooked into the crucial that I bought at the sport show, but am open to other rod selections.

Also what would be a good line for this setup. I have braid on all of my rods and dont know if that would be good for a setup like this. Would I want to go mono, copoly or something? Do I want to stay light line with a lower pound test or use normal 10-12 pound test?

Thanks for any insight and help.

I've always been a big St. Croix fan and use a medium light avid rod for this technique. Both Avid's, I have two 7 footers, one baitcaster and one spinning. For the baitcasting settup I use a Team Daiwa Sol and for the spinning I use a Plueger President. My baitcasting settup would run about $375 or so and the spinning settup will run around $275. I should say though, if I'm fishing areas with more heavy cover, i'll go up to a medium power rod (6'6" avid here).