• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Superior Hiking Trail Thread

I hiked the superior hiking trail for one day last year. My wife and I hiked from Beaver Bay to Silver Bay. We were not prepared for the challenge! Nevertheless we are eager to get back on the trail this summer. I want to hike more and learn more about the trail. I thought it would be interesting to have a place for people to post comments, reports and conditions of the SHT.

welcome 03 smile

Great idea, the trail is a wonderful place. I've hiked many miles of different sections, all where just day trips, and yes it can be very challanging. Hopefully more people with more experience will pipe in soon. I also would like to learn more. I have a cabin outside of Grand Marais and we often hike sections around that area.

I was on the trail with Boy Scout Troop 136 from Lino Lakes on 5/31- 6/1. We hiked from Gooseberry State Park to Splitrock State Park.

Day 1 left Lino around 6:45 AM -- lots of farting around getting cars parked at each of the parks and finnally hitting the trail around 12:30 PM. Had a late lunch at Blueberry Hill campsite around 3:00 PM smile We did a check of everyones feet at the camp. Everyone's feet were in good shape grin so we hit the trail around 4:00 PM and headed for the Split Rock River camps. After a nice climb for some senic views of Superior we had a pleasant hike all the way to the Split Rock Loop. The climb to up the West side of the loop was challenging for our group but everyone did a fantastic job grin The Camp by the new bridge was very nice. The sound of the river was very soothing along with grouse drumming in the background.

The night was very nice. Clear skies very few state birds grin We left the fly off the tent and several boys slept under the stars.

I woke up around 6:30 with the sun beating down on me very nice morning. I woke up the rest of the group at 7:30. They had a hard day the day before grin and we finnally broke camp at 9:30 AM. We need to work on getting out of camp in an hour or less.

Sundays hike down the North side of the river, then up on the ridge for more great views of Superior. Then dow to Split Rock State Park.

Day 1's hike was around 7.5 miles and day 2 was around 4.5 miles.

The boys and adults learned that the group can all do a little better job of packing a little lighter and smaller. The Troop has 14 boys and adults going to Philmont Scout ranch in New Mexico in August so this was a shakedown hike. One boy even carried an extra 14 lbs of weights in his pack eek I did not find out until we were waiting for the second van to come back for the ride home.

We are planning another hike in 2 weeks closer to home and then in mid July heading back up to the Superior Hiking Trail for the final shakedown hike.

I would recomend the Split Rock River Loop.

What other routes would be a good Saturday, Sunday overnight loop? We need to look at parking logistics and such?

Later

Steve