Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Carp-fisher

Early season pike tactics?

5 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I'm a complete novice about early season pike tactics. I usually catch northerns from June on by casting cranks or spinner baits. But with the early season and cooler than normal water, what tactics work well now (other than soaking a sucker)?

Had luch this past weekend with cranks and spinners. There there for sure. Watch for smaller fish on the sonar and you will find pike in the pike lakes.

Also, listen to Deitz's podcast here Early Pike . I haven't been able too yet cause I can't do them at work and haven't been online at home much. But he has good info on those things.

I find that a lot of the same baits and/or lures I use in the summer work in the spring as well. I just fish them shallower around the weeds and rushes in the spring. I'm a sucker-soakin' guy all year round, can't go wrong. It's all a matter of depth.

caught a few dandy's last night throwing 4-5 inch swimbaits in 3-6 feet of water on the windblown points and shorelines