• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

question/ tree replacement

glenn57

i have adead birch tree i need to cut down. my question is after a remove it, get a stump grinder guy in to get rid of that i would like to replace it with another tree in the exact same spot. is that possible and would the roots of the new terr takt hold around the roots of the old tree. also any ideas on the type of new tree. my thought is a red maple. it will sit in front of my house and next to the city street. it also needs to be a cleaner tree than the birch or the silver maple that sheds its billions of helicopters.

First thing to check is how deep your guy doing the grinding can go. The machines we have where I work max out approx 16" below grade, which is deep enough for a smaller containerized tree to go into, but probably not enough for a large containerized tree or balled and burlapped tree (unless you plan on adding soil to make a "raised bed").

As far as species selection, I am not sure what you have for soils out that way, but red maple is, in general, a good selection. The roots of the birch should not be an issue for the new tree from a survivability standpoint, just so they are ground out to allow installation. Some of my go-to trees for species selection are: maples-sugar, red, autumn blaze; oaks-bur, swamp white; disease resistant elms; basswood; hackberry.

Some cities have controls on what you can plant in thte boulevard. Might want to check so you don't end up with something they don't like and find out that you have to remove it a few years down the line.

It also would not hurt to ask the city if they have a blvd tree program. Cities like Minnetonka give away trees to line the streets. My folks got a nice one a while back. It cost them nothing. Who knows, maybe your city has something similar.