• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shore birds.

This is all I managed to salvage from this trip. It's really disappointing, considering there were many more ops.

Great Egret.

2509198939_0bda24e530_o.jpg

Black Crowned Night Heron.

2510028968_8c8d8ff506_o.jpg

The nearest I can come to on this one is a Snowy Egret. However, they're not found anywhere near this part of the country, but I can't find any other shore birds this size with black legs and yellow feet. It's much smaller than the egret.

2509195185_71d679ed83_o.jpg

These are nice, Mike. And the third bird is a snowy egret. Sibley shows them nesting as far north as northern Iowa and extreme southern Minnesota, with sightings fairly often in recent years farther north.

Thanks guys.

Steve, thanks for confirming the identity of the snowy egret. I use 2 books for ID's, one with photos and one with colored drawings. Unfortunately, they're outdated by over 20 years, regarding geographic info.

Paul, I didn't even make the decison to go until 9:30 in the morning. I figured you'd already be at work and wouldn't be able to just up and leave. BTW, none of these photos were from the NWR, which really doesn't amount to much. I drove the backroads around Waubay, to find the wildlife.

Ya I agree on the SIbleys. I have had mine now for just over a week or so and I love it. I never knew the names of most of the birds in my own back yard so it has been fun reading it. I can't wait to get home tonight so I can fiugre out what kind of bird I shot today on some [PoorWordUsage] dunk gravel road. It was half Black, half Yellow, and looked like a red winged black bird but had a complete yellow head and black body. Heck of a set of vocal cords on him too.