• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

tiller motor pull

limited out

Like someone mentioned in an earlier thread, I also have a hard pull to the right once I have my motor past half open. I have an older 75 Merc tiller motor. It pulls so hard you almost need two hands on the tiller control. Is it as easy as adjusting the screw above the prop and adjusting the fin below like someone recommended I try? Any advice would be great!

I've got the same problem with a 2004 Mercury 25hp tiller. I have adjusted the skeg some; does a guy do a big adjustment or should a little do it? I have increased the steering friction which helped some.

Thanks.

DD

Well, mine did pull right, but I bounced it off a few rocks, a tree, and a concrete slab in the river, and now it tracks so straight I can let go while driving WOT and it keeps right on going. Just lucky I guess.

does a guy do a big adjustment or should a little do it?

I'd go for a bigger adjustment to see if that helps... otherwise you'll end up monkeying with it for a while to find that it's something else.

marine_man

The other simple thing is making sure, after your hole shot, to trim your motor up to the point where there is no resistance. My 75hp tiller will pull when all the way down but when I trim it up I can get it to a point with absolutely no pull whatsoever (I could let go of the handle if I wanted to). I thought I would mention this as a friend who always had a counsol boat did not know this when he drove my tiller.

A big adjustment would be a 1/8" to 1/4" of rotation. It doesn't take much to make it run straight. Take a Sharpie and make a mark where your starting point is and then make a mark at the new position. That way you'll have an idea how much you've adjusted it if it needs some tweaking the next time out.