• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Reindeer Lake (Saskatchewan) In Early July For Pike

TMF89

Ya one tip, take me along! I am not familar with Artic Lodge but Reindeer has to be one the best pike fisheries in the world. If you ended up in a row boat with a leak you are still going to have a good time.

Believe me I know it, it's kind of nice to know you're going to literally live out one of your life goals in just a few short months!!!

What do you guys like for throwing pike lures on the smaller side, like #7 Rattling Raps, #5 and 6 Mepps, and some of the soft jerkbaits? I'm looking at a 7' MH Guide Series Extreme Pike rod, and still trying to figure out what kind of reel I want to pair it with. What about line? I'm thinking 30lb Stren Superbraid on one, and just some regular mono on the other? What would you guys do, 12, 14, or 17? Remember the lake we're talking about here, it's definitely the test to end all tests!

Thanks for the help guys, and sorry for any tears of jealousy, but hopefully I'll come back with some pictures and stories that'll put me high up in Johnny P's contest!

I'd go with a Curado 300 for the reels. On the spendy side, but it will cast those smaller baits like a dream and will handle those big pike with ease.

50-65 pound braid for line.

I am also jealous as h@ll.

Within 5 years, I WILL do a trip like this to a big pike destination with my dad. We have talked about it since I started fishing. It will happen.

I'll second the Curado 300 as the reel. They dropped to $200, so a little less but still not cheap. However, that reel will match up to the Reindeer pike, and be a reel you'll use after and for years to follow. Nothing would be worse than a reel tanking on you two days into a trip.

The heavier braid than the 30 you mentioned will be a good call. The 300 holds a lot of line for the lo-profile style.

Ahhh I get it, you guys're gonna get back at me by telling me to buy all the most expensive stuff! lol I'd like to stay a little bit cheaper, what about the Abu Garcia Revos? Either the Revo S, or the SX? Both hold 140 yards of 12lb test, so line capacity really shouldn't be a problem, since it'll be mostly casting anyway. I think I'll pair it with either a St. Croix Triumph or Premiere, would a MH still be able to cast the light baits? I'd like the security of 50 or 65lb test line, but since I'll be using some lighter lures, I'd like to stick around 30-40 to let them cast easier, and get down deeper. I can handle pike on "light" line like that, I've brought a few 36+" on 6lb mono, lol. Probably going to try Stren Superbraid, since I've heard nothing but good about it, and haven't tried it yet.

Alright guys, decided that I should abuse the discount I get at Gander (If you ever see a Tyler in the fishing department, or in the store, since I'm the only one there lol, feel free to say hi), I'm going to go with one spinning combo and one baitcasting combo.

I think I've already figured out my spinning,that7 MH Guide Series Extreme Pike rod I've been talking about, paired up with a Guide Series Tournement 40 spinning reel, now what for line? I'm thinking 30-40lb Superbraid, and 14 or 17lb mono on the other one, what's your favorite mono for pike?

Then I'm looking at a baitcaster, and while I'd love a Curado 300, I'm going to try to go with something cheaper, what about a Pflueger Trion with a wide spool? I've always liked the Trions. Or maybe a Revo S? I know it's a smaller reel, but it holds 140 yards of 12lb, and I'd be putting braided on anyway.

As far as a pole, I'm thinking just a 7' MH St. Croix Premiere or a Triumph, any suggestions on those or other rods? I just now thought about going up to a Heavy, what do you guys think about that?

Bump didee bump didee bump bummmmp. Sorry for the double post guys, but I'm reallyi interested in what you're thoughts are. I checked out a 6'10 St. Croix Triumph Medium action musky rod today at work, and really liked the feel of that with a Abu Garcia 5600C4 or 5500C3, any thoughts about that?

Alright guys, I know this is a TRIPLE post, but I decided to make this kind of like a journal, if that's okay with the mods.

I decided to go with a Guide Series Extreme Tournament Pike rod, MH 7' spinning, that can handle 1/4-3/4 for my light baits, and I'm going to pair it up with either a Tournament 35 or 40 spinning reel. I'd like to do the 40, but I can't find any at the store, and I think if I do braid I'll be just fine with the 35. As far as line, I was thinking 30lb Stren Superbraid? I know how to fight fish, so I don't think it'll be a problem.

My baitcaster's going to be a Guide Series Tournament Pike rod, again 7' MH, 1/2-1 1/2 ounce rating, paired with a 5600C4 (so I can burn baits, and since I'm not throwing really heavy stuff with this, I don't think I need to worry about wearing it out). On that I'm going to put 50lb Stren Superbraid.

I know neither of these combos are top of the line, but due to special employee discounts this weekend, I figure I'll be paying a little more than $150, that's including tax. Can't beat that huh??

I'll also be bringing up a St. Croix Triumph 7' MH Musky rod for any heavy trolling, and two rods for walleyes.

What're your guys's thoughts?

P.S. I checked at the thread's "Read" number, and it's gotten 198 hits, so I'll know if you're not posting!!! (lol)

I think you have yourself pretty well set up! The Guide Series rods are nice sticks for the money. $150 for those combos is doing really well.

The 30 Stren on the spinning reel should be OK with the lighter baits, just don't go too heavy, it's the risk of snapping off a lure on a cast as much as fighting the fish.

The Abu will move the baits at the 6.3:1 ratio for sure, and the 50 should be good on that.

What reel goes on the heavy Triumph?

I agree with cjac. I've had a few Guide Series rods in the past and they are a great value. I've got Stren Superbraid on a few MH setups and I love the stuff. Overall, you sound like your ready for action. I'm heading up to Reindeer in early September so keep us posted how you do! Good luck up there!

Cheers,

-B

The only thing I will say about Superbraid and lighter baits is use a smooth cast stroke. Sometimes the loose windings you get with light bait, or even sometimes when using something like an xrap, if you try to cast too far you'll pull off some of the lower wrappings and end up with some loopy knots. If you use a long smooth stroke it doesn't happen.

Cjac, it's just one of my musky poles, so just a 6500C3 with 65lb PP. Just bringing it up in case we start using some really heavy stuff, and for heavier trolling.

VahnTitrio, do you mean almost like a fly-cast? Just a long, easy cast?

What do you guys think about lures? It's a really clear lake, and we'll be mainly casting the shallows, with some trolling. I can't really see getting much deeper than 15-20 feet max, probably mostly in 5-10.

I'm thinking some of the Xraps, some plastics, and spoons of course. I have my own ideas, but what would you guys get? Don't worry about pricing at this point, just make some wish lists!

One last question: I've never gone specifically for big pike like this, what about leaders? I usually go with the 3 packs for a few bucks that berkley makes, but I'm thinking I should up that, lol. If I use some of my 130lb flouro leaders, or are those too heavy for some of the smaller baits? Thanks guys!

Lures...

slash/twitch baits, jig and plastic (curly tail, reaper...BLACK, pike love leeches), spoons, spinner baits.

Dont be scared to toss some "muskie" baits either...regular bulldawg, swimmin joe, etc. small erratic jerkbaits (baby wabull) would likely take some fish as well.

What colors would you use for clear water and weeds? Also, what exactly is the difference between slash baits like the X-Rap and jerkbaits like the Suick? What's the difference in action?

What colors would you use for clear water and weeds? Also, what exactly is the difference between slash baits like the X-Rap and jerkbaits like the Suick? What's the difference in action?

Colors...white, black (leech imitators), clown, firetiger, blue/silver, minnow imitators

A slash bait has much more inherent action that will a suick. You can straight crank and x-rap and get a nice wobble. Not much of that in a Suick. You'll get much more side to side action from an x-rap...unless you have one of those magic Suicks tuned just right. No doubt, pike love Suicks too

I LOVE my curado 300's. If they're too spendy, try the 200 model, they're only $160 at Joe's right now. (or they were this past weekend). I bought a "pike" rod and put a 5:1 curado on it for my wife, it's a GREAT little setup for daredevils and spring dawgs or anything similar. She usually has to demand I give it to her I like using it so much this year.

FWIW, i'd take a black spring dawg with, they seem to be made from firmer material than most dawgs, mine are holding up well against toothies this spring.

Good luck, sounds like an awesome trip.

One last quick question guys: Am I good with the Abu Garcia 5600C4, or should I go with a Pflueger Trion? There's about a $25 price difference, and I'm saving every penny for lures, so I want to know it's definitely worth it. I'm thinking I won't see much of a difference, any of you guys have opinions?

Alright, so I went shopping. Came home with those two combos, a 7' MH Guide Series Extreme Pike with a Guide Series Tournament 35 Reel, and a 7'MH Guide Series Tournament Pike with a Abu Garcia 5600C4.

As far as lures go, I got a TON, about $150 worth I think. I'm going to try them out tomorrow at Lac Lavon, it's a clear lake so it's easy to see their action.

I'll take some pix when I get the chance, to show you guys , because the list is too long to name, lol.

Alright guys, next major question. How do you rig large soft plastics? I bought a few 7" Anacondas (glorified twister tail worms) and some 9" senko style baites. How do you guys rig baits this big? I have some 3/4-1oz musky jigs, but it seems like they still leave quite a bit of the bait to be nipped off? I was thinking about useing two big Aberdeen (just long shank) style hooks, I have a couple of 8/0s I use for catfishing, and hooking it like a Killer Eel basically, with one hook hooked to the other, and then both of them hooked into the bait? What do you guys do for large plastics?

My guess is those are heavy enough that you could just use a plain old hook(s) and go Texas Rig, or even wacky style on the senko. I think pike tend to head hunt so they'll more than likely find the hook.

That's what I thought too, I actually love the Anaconda because it'll drop straight vertically down when you give it some slack, I can't wait to start fishing the holes in the weeds with that! As far as hook size goes though, Gander only has up to 5/0s, but I saw some 7s in the Cabela's catalog, would you guys go with the 7s? Because the 5s just barely get the hook through, and then have no real wiggle room.