• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

starting problem

OK any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated , , , ,

Here goes, I have a 93 chevy lumina with 236,000 miles on it I use it to keep miles of my truck and run around the construction site, lately I have been having a problem about every two days when I go to start the vehicle it barely turns over. I went to batteries plus because it was close and had them test the battery, said it was fine. That was about a week ago, now today everything was fine and I go to start it and I get nothing just a ticking sound like it is dead. So I try and jump it and get nothing better. I had a buddy run me to Napa got a new battery put that in and the thing barely turns over and starts. I went back to Napa they test the old battery and the alternator both are working fine. So now my limited automotive experience is exhausted and I am looking for any kind of direction. Duration between starts when this problem occurs is usually about ten minutes.

thanks

Jon

You may have a loose conection on 1 of the battery cables or it sounds like your starter is taking a dump. Most of the time a single click when you turn the key means the starter is done.

If this happens if you are lucky you can sometimes hit the starter with a hammer and it will turn over, however it may be the last time it works. You could also try starting it at night with the hood open, have someone try to start it while you watch. You may see some sparks if it is a loose connection.

That many miles though I would say starter.

I checked the connections for the battery however tonight I will put it on the ramps and check it for on the starter and see. My guess was the starter as well. How hard are they to change yourself???

Well I haven't changed a starter on that model of a car but all the ones I have replaced were generally pretty easy, 3 or 4 bolts and unhook the wires, just make sure your battery is disconnected first...if you can get to it that is the big question...

One click is typically the starter. Lots of clicks in a row is usually a battery issue.

This should be a pretty easy job for you. The hardest part will be removing the plastic covers to gain access to the starter bolts. Just keep track of how many wires you take off the positive post on the starter and make sure they all go back on.