• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Replacing Bilge Pump

tcroz

The bilge went out on my 1800 Lund Fisherman Tiller. What should I buy to replace it? I believe they rate it by GPH (gallons per hour). Is replacing it simple or does it need to be professionaly done. What is involved in replacing it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Croz

There are some posts about this in the Boats and Motors forum, but you should be able to pop the pump out of its mounting bracket or mounting carriage and replace it with the same pump. After that it's a simple matter of making the power connections and connecting the drain hose. Usually the only hard part in the whole process is getting access to the pump and having enough room to work on it and see what you're doing, etc.

Little trick to the process - A lot of time the problems with electrical things in a boat are either loose connections or corresion. My advice is to try and solder the connections if at all possible, and then use some shrink tubing to seal them up. It's not hard and it will pay off in the long run. There's also a product called Star Bite Liquid Electrical Tape that works reasonably well. You paint it on and it seals things up - I usually go with a couple of coats.

If you can't find the exact pump to replace it with you probably can use just about any make, it's just going to be a bit more work to make the connections.

Some of the pumps come apart easily. I recently replaced mine by simply loosening a set screw and removing the motor and impeller from the housing. Simply bought a new motor /impeller from Gander and spliced the wires. I didn't have to unhook any hoses and deal with possible water leaks.

All good replies there.

Check the connections.

The bilge snaps on to a mount. Take it out and look for derbies stuck in the impeller. In the end if you have to replace the pump chances are that you find the exact same make model to replace it with and you won't need to fasten the new mount, just snap it back in the old one and wire it.