• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

rapala lures for pike

73mrpike

first i want to say im not knocking rapala lures in any way we all know they are good lures now the question regarding pike i have caught a few on shad raps and floating raps however its 1 or 2 pike per lure then there all ripped to pieces does any one have any suggestions on other rapala lures that would work for pike a x rap is plastic would this be a better idea. or what are youre thoughts on presentation. i have used spinners and spoons not much luck but oh those rapalas how they comfort me he he i posted this here to get more responses i hope thanks

Raps are great baits and they catch alot of fish of different species. I don't fish balsa baits for pike because they truly tear them up. I do however fish the Husky jerk-baits, suspending shad raps and super shad raps for pike being that they are plastic and tend to take a bit more of a beating then the balsa baits do. I also like the Mepps spiners in #5 and larger for pike especially when there is current involved. I like rougues, bombers and some of the Matzuo baits for twitching and pitching as well. I caught a 49" muskie on a plastic suspending jerk-bait bait typically used for bass last fall and it held up well and like others have said it is the teeth marks that give it the badge of "honor". I'd stick with the plastic bodied baits for pike unless you like to repleace baits at 6 bucks or better. My .02.

Tunrevir~

Mrpike:

I've got a couple of trophy ShadRaps hanging on my wall. Both started their day new out of the box. Both finished the day chewed to $%&*! and with their tail wires ripped out and bent over! I usually retire a ShadRap after 40 to 50 fish, and that's not bad for $6. Cheaper than live bait. Of course, you can also take a used/chewed Rap, let it dry thoroughly, and seal the holes with superglue or fingernail polish. I also change hooks after they get bent up too badly. I put red hooks on 'em...watch out!

I made a big mistake, thinking I could save myself some money. I bought a bunch of off brand cranks and shads from a clearance bin. They cast and retrieve all right, but forget about trolling with them. All they do is just float to the top. I have 15 year old rapalas, that troll tried and true. I will never buy another trolling lure unless it is a rapala. also, I went to my girlfriends cousins wedding, and his wife is the spokesperson for rapala. She has been fetured on kent herbek outdoors a few times. It was pretty cool to go to the wedding. Their table gift was a shallow diving x-rap with their names put in the side. Im sure no body uses the lure, but i cast mine all the time.

You can try "Rebel" Crawdads. I always have a few in my tackle box. I cast them off the dock and have caught just about everything on them. Pike seem to really like the action and they hold up very well to the punishment

I think the advice Tunrevir gave is about as good as you can get. Use em til they are wore out and put them in the "Trophy Case". Replace them with plastic baits next time around if you are fishing mainly pike as they do hold up better. I have a few hanging in my garage in the fishin shop that are chewed up.

I've used a standard perch-colored original floating Rapala for many years now and caught 100's of pike on it, including a nice 40" fish in Canada. The only thing I've had to do is replace straightened hooks and split rings.

I've even had teeth left in the lure after the catch!

I love using Perch color Tail Dancers for pike, but they do not hold up as well as the older Fat Raps or husky jerk-baits. The Deep Tail Dancers are better, as they are bigger, and the Super Shads kick butt! The old and now discontinued Risto Raps are great pike lures, as they troll well even at HIGH speeds and they hold up great. But yeah, I have a baggie full of broken Rapalas, usually lips that ripped off or broke. They used to replace them, but not any more.

I have a few old Ristos and just two weeks ago pulled one out of the box and caught a pike within the first 10 casts on it. I love those old baits. The Ristos and the Fat Raps were my favorites, thankfully the are at least producing the Glass Fat Raps now.

Actually, I find that it is common that the chewed up lures may outproduce shiny new ones. I can't explain it other than I believe it isn't always the paint that draws the strike but the action of the lure. I believe that each lure may impart a unique action, vibration, or whatever and when you get one that inspires strikes, keep using it. Some of my best lures are those that are beat up.

Bob

I can't believe no one has brought up the Rattling Raps I have great luck on all sizes of them and all differant fish. They seem to hold up pretty well.

You are so right PDogg. Those Rattlin Raps are awesome pike lures. They will literally catch just about anything that swims. I have caught crappies, gills, walleyes, bass, pike, and believe it or not, even catfish on them. The best colors for the Rattlin Raps are the Chrome with black back and Gold with black back. The flash, vibration, and sound is a deadly combo.