• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ole,

I just read your report on Red Cedar and it sounds like the fish are active. Have you tried running lead core on Red Cedar? It may be interesting and the timing might be right to try cray fish colors! The bass we caught this weekend all were caughing up cray fish! The walleyes were full of minows.

I have not fished Red Cedar yet this year a friend of mine has been out there and they tried trolling with no luck but I wouldn't be afraid to try it as I have always had better luck then him with the trolling.

Well not much good to report from my fishing the past few days.

I was out on Long on Monday night with one small eye that we lost at the boat. Went back out Tuesday afternoon and fished in the rain for hours with not a eye to show for it. I spend lots of time looking for suspended fish with not much luck just a few here and there but no real schools of bait fish that I could find. Put lots of hours in watching the locator and marked a few spots in the GPS to try rigging a different day.

Maybe it was the weather that just had the fish doing something different. We should have tried rigging them for awhile but I was committed to trolling no matter what.....Yes why I do that to myself I am not sure just to set in my way sometimes.

Guess I will see what next week brings when I get time to get back out and give it another try.

Hey Zabka where are you from?

Good Luck Everyone

Ole,

I grew up in Barron and have spent many hours fishing Bear and Long as my parents have a Cabin on Bear. I currently reside in the Twin Cities area and I try and get back to the area as much as possible.

I read your report and somedays just don't go as planned! I am hoping to get out on the St. Croix or possibly Mille Lacs this weekend as I have friends that will be fishing an MTT Tournament August 22 and 23 and any report I can offer could help them out.

Good Luck Fishing!

Well I was out trolling Long on Monday night again ended up with one small eye and a half dozen crappies then went back to fish the bar that the eye came off and my motor died so I was done for the night. Got the boat into the shop and it is back up and running and ready to go another day. Now if I only can sneak a little time to get back out. Fishing is going to keep getting better as we get into fall weather.

I was up around that area a couple of days ago so I decided to drive by and check it out. It didn't look like there were alot of fishermen on the lake. I moved to clear lake a few years ago from the twin cities area and I'm used to seeing small cities on most of the lakes. I was hoping to make it up there for one last trip before the walleye season closes but my wife and I are getting ready to have our second child so hopefully I'll make it for some good late ice crappie acton. I have a map of the lake and eyeing a few spots that look promising. Are there any general spots that do better than others?

I wish I would have stopped there before I went fishing. I used spinners and minnows and couldn't get the walleyes to bite. I fished from 10' down to 25'. I marked alot of fish but they did not like my setup. I did catch some crappies on Mud Lake but nothing of any size. I guess I'll change things up nest time. Thanks for all of the help.

I spent the day out on Long Tuesday trolling cranks around weed edges and ended up with a few best one was 27"

I would post a picture but I can't remember how so anyways she is still swimming to be caught another day.

Ole54868 I am new to this forum, although I have been reading it for quite some time. First of all let me say NICE FISH. The reason I am now a member is that I wanted to ask you if this Long Lake is the same Long Lake that the Tomahawk Boy Scout camp is on? I will be their with my son this upcoming week and am interested in fishing their during free time.

thanks, Wallida

Wallida to answer your question yes it is. I believe the Boy Scouts own pretty much the whole east shore of the lake.

Ole nice fish by the way!! Fished out there quite a bit but never caught anything over 18". I'll have to give trolling a shot out there next time i'm up that way. Were you long lining or using some deep divers if i may ask?

That was the answer I was hoping for. Unless I stumble onto a boat rental shop I'll be fishing from shore, but at least I know I've got chance at a Walleye or Two.

thanks for your help Newbie

Wallida

Well let me first off say I have far from mastered trolling. I run boards and crankbaits and spend lots of time driving around and trying different things some days it works and some days I can't catch them. Long Lake is a hard trolling lake for me just can't seem to get it figured out.

The one thing I do know is they like shad style baits.