• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dawn on the pond (no pics)

icehousebob

I like to sit at the computer desk and look at the pond while I eat breakfast. This morning, there was a group of eight Wood duck drakes and three hens on my end of the pond. They were joined by a goose, two mallards, and an egret. Yesterday, there was a fox cruising the edges of the pond and was looking over the new goose babies. The parents drove him off and all the Woodies and Mallards gathered behind them for protection.

Someone with a camera MUST get over here in Minnetonka to my back yard and get pictures of this. Anyone with photography is invited.

Right now, the floating nest box that I put out is being competed for to see who gets to roost on the place of honor.Three Woodie drakes are sharing it.

A Kingfisher just flew across but I can't see him now. Suburban wildlife at its best.

Just got back from Morel hunting and the resident goose pair and their puppies have been joined by two more pair of geese, one of which came with the kids. There's also a Hooded Merganser drake that I haven't seen before.

Steve, you're right about having a room with a view. I'm in the heart of Minnetonka and from my living room window I can't see another house.

I have a floating box that I anchored in the pond and this morning a Mallard,Wood Duck, and a Merganser , all drakes, shared the box while they preened their feathers. Not all was peaceful,however. A Canada Goose put a charge and a serious hurtin' on a muskrat that got too close to the little ones. I've seen young geese all over the ponds in Minnetonka, but so far, no little ducks. Any sightings so far?

The gosling population has taken some turns here. There were two pairs with three each and a week ago one pair showed with only one. Two days later, they had none and the other pair had only two. This morning, a third pair showed with with three young and the pair with two now has a third small one, the size of the the newest ones. It must have somehow attached itself to the older ones when the two groups were mixed together. Still no young ducks. Has anyone in the metro spotted any yet?

There's a pair of Indigo Buntings most mornings at the feeder by the house. That surprises me because usually they seem to be shy. A couple of deer were just munching on the neighbor's bushes. The Merganser pair has been having early morning diving contests, and the rest of the day, the drake is alone or hanging out with the Woodies.