Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
icehousebob

Dawn on the pond (no pics)

6 posts in this topic

I like to sit at the computer desk and look at the pond while I eat breakfast. This morning, there was a group of eight Wood duck drakes and three hens on my end of the pond. They were joined by a goose, two mallards, and an egret. Yesterday, there was a fox cruising the edges of the pond and was looking over the new goose babies. The parents drove him off and all the Woodies and Mallards gathered behind them for protection.

Someone with a camera MUST get over here in Minnetonka to my back yard and get pictures of this. Anyone with photography is invited.

Right now, the floating nest box that I put out is being competed for to see who gets to roost on the place of honor.Three Woodie drakes are sharing it.

A Kingfisher just flew across but I can't see him now. Suburban wildlife at its best.

Sweet way to work on the computer, Bob. I'd love to have my office set up with a view of my feeders/back yard, but it just won't work in our house.

So cool to have a room with a view!

Just got back from Morel hunting and the resident goose pair and their puppies have been joined by two more pair of geese, one of which came with the kids. There's also a Hooded Merganser drake that I haven't seen before.

Steve, you're right about having a room with a view. I'm in the heart of Minnetonka and from my living room window I can't see another house.

Sounds like a great place, if i was closer I would take you up on the offer.

Never heard of goose puppies before though.....grin

I have a floating box that I anchored in the pond and this morning a Mallard,Wood Duck, and a Merganser , all drakes, shared the box while they preened their feathers. Not all was peaceful,however. A Canada Goose put a charge and a serious hurtin' on a muskrat that got too close to the little ones. I've seen young geese all over the ponds in Minnetonka, but so far, no little ducks. Any sightings so far?

The gosling population has taken some turns here. There were two pairs with three each and a week ago one pair showed with only one. Two days later, they had none and the other pair had only two. This morning, a third pair showed with with three young and the pair with two now has a third small one, the size of the the newest ones. It must have somehow attached itself to the older ones when the two groups were mixed together. Still no young ducks. Has anyone in the metro spotted any yet?

There's a pair of Indigo Buntings most mornings at the feeder by the house. That surprises me because usually they seem to be shy. A couple of deer were just munching on the neighbor's bushes. The Merganser pair has been having early morning diving contests, and the rest of the day, the drake is alone or hanging out with the Woodies.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Last weekend spent some time re-sealing a small seam leak on a trim edge. Found out the owner before us had a leak on the same trim edge spot and left out a screw!! Also washed down the canopy and the ever reoccurring black streaks around the roof edge.   This weekend may go back and clean out and reseal a few other areas the passed own made a mess of sealing with sillycone! Using Butyl rubber this time as silicone can be pulled right off after a few years.
    • Lots of talk on sports radio and social media lately on whether the Wolves should workout a deal that sends Wiggins to Cleveland for Kyrie. Of course there would likely be some other bit players involved to make contracts work, but for all intents and purposes it's Wiggins for Kyrie.   As a fan, would you do it, yes or no?   I'm personally leaning toward "no." Kyrie is very good and still young. But he doesn't seem to offer much beyond scoring - not a prolific assist guy and his defense has never stood out. Perhaps most importantly, if reports are true and one of the main reasons he wants to leave Cleveland is so he can be the primary star on his own team - that makes me question what type of leader, team player, and locker room presence he would be. Say what you want about Lebron, but on the court he seems like an ideal teammate, almost too willing to make the extra pass. And Cleveland still has one of the best routes back to the Finals, why would you want to get away from that?
      Wiggins certainly has his faults, but he is a dynamite scorer. His defensive is poor, but at least the tools are there to be a good defender. If we lose him we also have a pretty big hole to fill on our roster. Whereas right now we have what appears to be a solid PG in Teague.    I wouldn't hate it if we landed Kyrie, but with our current situation I prefer Wiggins. All in all though, it's certainly fun to finally be in a situation where stars want to play here, not avoid Minny at all costs.
    • For many years my dad, uncles, etc have been heading to the Leech Lake area every spring and fall to fish for walleyes. There are usually 8-10 guys that go. Many of them are from the Barron, Wisconsin area. Since I've never really fished in Wisconsin, thought it might be fun to head to there one of these trips. Have always heard the Hayward area is pristine. Does anyone have a favorite lake, or possibly a favorite resort in the area I should add to the list when doing some research?  Walleyes are the only thing these guys are after.   I know there is a Wisconsin form, but it seems kind of quiet over there, so I'm hoping to get some opinions here.    
    • Well except for the owner. He's kinda ancient!!   We did the same thing with the frig to Dave on the first camper we had.
    • New!  The Rebco CH-100 multi-directional antenna with Pow-r-boost!! Less than 0.01 THD! Universal fit! Unbreakable! Weatherproof!  Doubles as a coat hanger! Listen to all yer favorite polkas or love songs for a fraction of the cost! Bring in yer favorite stations crystal clear, from as far away as Rangoon!  Only $9.99 plus S&H. BUT WAIT, call now and get two for........                     Ya, I think they already did!!!  
    • This will get you under the G-door!   I know late to the game but the way this is going does it matter?        ZHOL® NEW Am-fm Hidden Windshield Antenna Car Radio Truck 3.4 out of 5 stars 423 customer reviews | 14 answered questions Price:$7.99 & FREE Shipping on orders over $25. Details In Stock.   New proprietary design that enhances performance with unique MICO Screen element. Small and sleek so you can stick it anywhere in almost any vehicle Ground independent ZHOL is the Amazon registered brand,This product is not allowed without ZHOL    
    • I've done a few things to the old camper in the last few weeks.   First I replaced the old crank jack with a new electric jack.     Then the cooling unit on my fridge went out so I ended up just replacing the 6 cu. ft 2 way fridge with a 9.9 cu. ft. residential electric only fridge.   Next order of business is new tires. Blew one out on the way to Zumbro Falls this weekend    Pretty soon everything on this camper will be brand new! 
    •   Well I never!!!    Caught one that nice!
    •   Del be fightin' with himself again. He likes that. 
    • I now boys fight Nice!!
  • Our Sponsors