• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Lawn mower JD or snapper?

DRH1175

John Deere, Parts are easy to come by, price is usually a little more, buy you get what you pay for. Nothing cuts like a Deere!!! Your lawn will look great compared to the Snapper.

You've got Isanti County Equipment about 15 miles from you to the west. One of the bigger John Deere dealers in the area.

I'm not sure where you're looking at the Snapper. If it's in Stacy, I've had problems getting parts out of there before for chainsaws, usually just head down to White Bear.

Just remember, most mowers are going to be the same, as far as you know, once you get them home, as long as they're comparable models.

It's going to be parts availability and possibly service that you're going to have to check out as well.

Nothing like having the grass grow 2-3" per day in the spring, and have the mower broke down for 2-3 weeks.

I bought my simplicity in 2002 the engine blew up last week before I could mow my yard. Had to have a lawn service do it. At 170hrs I am quite dis satisfied. It was between the simplicity and a JD before. Maybe I should have gone with the JD in the first place. My wife wants me to buy a cheap mower now after spending 2800 5 years ago. I am between the jd 165 and 320. The 320 is $3700 but a sweet ride with the kawasaki engine. Very smooth and I love the deck! But is it worth the price. I can get the jd 165 for $2300 with the Briggs motor.

I've got a JD LX 279. It has a Kawi V-Twin and it's a great engine. I've gone through 2 or 3 belts in two years, and a pulley bearing also. The Kawi engine is quiet and sips the gas, the JD deck on the other hand is in question? I had a Honda rider before the John Deere, and that was an excellent mower. By the way, get a Kawi or Kohler engine, no briggs!

I was looking at the x320 with the kawi engine. I didn't think I wanted a JD cause I always heard they were overpriced. But comparing them to the Cub Cadet, Snappers etc... They are actually priced about the same or less. I really like how the deck raises out of the way. And the transmission was so smooth. compared to my simplicity that just died.

As has been said before,easy access to parts is the key with any equipment purchase. John Deere parts network is top of the line, if not in-stock can usually be there by the end of the next day.

I have been running a LA model for 1 year now, no complaints so far. Each time it is used is mowing nearly 5 acres worth of grass at 2 farm sites.

2 main concerns when purchasing their LA models was first in mind was a Briggs motor and second was total weight of the machine. The Briggs motor is and was to be built to John Deere specs - (time will tell on that one) so far it seems to be a strong motor. Second was total weight of the mower, when not completely on even terrain it seems to want to wheel slip. All in all so far I am happy with the purchase.

My suggestion is to price out Deere's next step up from the LA models and see if it is close to what your pocket book can handle.

Farmer

I took the plunge I ordered my new x320 yesterday. More money yes but definitly high quaility and I know I can get parts if needed. Though I am hoping the JD will never need them or at least for several years. Can't beat the 4 year warranty! Hope the 22hp Kawi will treat me well. But from what everyone is telling me it is the best on the market period!

If we are talking about the Home Depot style JD..these are simply throw away lawn mowers..And in my experience I would definately go with the snapper over those..However if we are talking the commercial line of JD then yes they are a very reliable yet pricey piece of equipment.

Yes I pick up my new select series x320 tomorrow from my local JD dealer. The yard is getting long again so I am excited to run home tomorrow and cut it with my new rig. The x320 was quite pricey. But It should last a very long time with the kawi engine.

Well, I've had my Snapper going on 7 years and have zero problems with it. If and when the time comes to buy another mower I will definitely consider anotherSnapper. I really believe it's not so much the name on the side of the mower but in how you take care of it over the years....