• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

honda

Pooh

i own a 1985 honda interceptor 500. just got a question about it please help if you can.

i took a plastic cover off the "pivot" point on the handle bars. under it is what looked like the valve that you put air in tires with. i pressed the little center button and one side had a quick squirt of oil. the side that needs fork seals only air came out. What are the valves for? i think they are for filling the oil but am not sure how, special tool?

thanks in advance Pooh

air forks, and they run very low pressure, specs are probably 3-7 psi per side. I am sure, unless they have been regularly maintaind, the seals need replacing, new fork oil installed and proper PSI appled.

Chilton manuals are cheap and can be found online.

You have to open up the forks to put in oil, but, its not a real simple process,,,get a manual or find a qualified mechanic

MJ- im fairly handy is it something i can takle with a chiltons book or should i take it in?

i know the right hand side is just starting to leak oil, so i should fix em

See if you can find a Honda service manual for that model. Go online at Honda Direct Line. It's not hard if you have a little guidance. Some dealers may not even look at it because of its age. Its probably older than most of the young guys working on it!!!

shouldnt stump you too badle, although you may need a special tool or so. I have in the past gotten them dissasembled to a certain degree, then took the legs in and had them R?R the seals. Find a shop that will work with you in that manner and go for it!

That 500 Interceptor is a collector bike, one of the finest middleweights Honda EVER made, and a real keeper.