• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help me decide which boat

Here's my choices (these are all half console models BTW.)

#1. Alumicraft 165 Magnum CS with a 90 hp Johnson 4 stroke. This one is new but it's a 2006 with a price tag of $16,500.

#2. Crestliner 16 ft Kodiak with a 50 hp 2 stroke merc. (2008) $11,000.

#2. Same boat as #2 but with a 50 hp 4 stroke merc. $12,500.

The Kodiak is a slightly smaller boat but it'splenty big for the lakes will be going on but the Alumicraft is big enough that we could take it to Mil Lacs, Winny, maybe even LOW.

Any help you could give me would be much appreciated, thanks!!!

One more thing, all the boats are maxed out on horse power so that shouldn't be an issue.

Another boat to think about is the Crestliner 1600 Fish Hawk with a 75hp motor. It should be fairly competitive in price to the Alumacraft. However, that Alumacraft is a nice rig as well.

My personal opinion is to buy the most boat and motor you can afford. You'll be happier overall for a longer period of time. As for 2-stroke versus 4-stroke, it really depends on the type of fishing you're doing. If you're thinking about motor trolling a fair amount, a 4-stroke will serve you better there. A 2-stroke will provide more top end power.

Another boat to think about is the Crestliner 1600 Fish Hawk with a 75hp motor. It should be fairly competitive in price to the Alumacraft.

Got a good point there Ray. They both build awesome boats!

Thanks for all the responses everyone and I'm kind of leaning towards the Alumacraft. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Johnson 4 strokes. Another thing to consider is the Kodiak is a really pretty black color. grin

With the Kodiak we'd get front and back locators with a cordless remote trolling motor and the Alumacraft has a corded foot control trolling motor.

I would go with the AlumaCraft. I had a 185 Compeditor with a 75 Merc (tiller) for 14 years and loved it.

I'll get a post set up with my boat purchase(which I won't be picking up until June 16th or so) later.

No complaints with the AlumaCraft. It was a great Mille Lacs boat.

I have an 02 165 with a merc 75 and love it. Don't worry about the cordless remote, you can buy a copilot for $150 which is nothing in the grand scheme of things. If you have the money go Alumacraft, if not, go with the Kodiak. I, myself, would go with the bigger motor, you will never regret that.

Thanks again!!! Still waiting to see if anyone's had any experience with the Johnson 4 stroke. From what I could find out, it's made by Suzuki. I looked at Johnson's site and the only 4 stroke they now make is a 9.9. That kind of worries me, why they would stop making them and what would it take if I needed to get parts?

Another thing to consider is the price of fuel. What would it cost me to run that 90 as compared to the 50 2 stroke or the 50 4 stroke?

I don't really worry about fuel for the boat all that much. To be honest, I don't run the main motor a whole lot. Once you get out you are going to either anchor or use your trolling motor. I have a 30 gallon tank on my rig and only fill it a few times a year.

Still waiting to see if anyone's had any experience with the Johnson 4 stroke. From what I could find out, it's made by Suzuki.

The 90 hp was made by suzuki. Parts are available through Johnson or Suzuki, and I would not be concerned about finding parts. Just about any dealer should be able to order them.

marine_man

snoozebutton,

I have a 2004 115hp Johnson (Suzuki) 4 stroke. Basically the same family as the 90hp you're looking at. The motor has been great, quiet, good fuel economy. No problems. All that has been done is normal fluid/filter services and changing of the water pump impeller.

Parts are available at both Johnson/Evinrude and Suzuki dealers.

Not sure about fuel costs for the 90/4 vs a 50/2 or 50/4. I have mine on the back of a 22 foot pontoon. 1 week of fishing on Lake Vermilion I usually use about 26 to 30 gallons of gas.

Pontoons do not plane so I think I would use more fuel than a V-bottom planing hull.

Fuel Consumption -

Well, the 90 4 stroke is going to burn more than the 50 4 stroke, and will very likely burn more than the 50 hp 2 stroke. How much? I haven't the slightest idea. I would guess that it will be somewhat noticeable, but won't be a tank an hour faster or slower or anything like that.

you're getting 40 more hp - it's going to take more fuel.

marine_man

Thanks V Fox, that's good to know because we decided on the Alumacraft. It came down to me persuading my wife that it was what we needed. wink

We'll be picking it up tomorrow so if I get a chance, I'll post a pic of it.

Thanks again to all of you that offered advice!!!

Congratulations! I'd love to hear how you convinced the boss on how you "needed" that one over the others smile

I told her we needed the extra room when we take the grand kids out. grin

Before I make the final deal there's some questions I have. It only has 2 seats and we're going to want a 3rd. Their price was $275, can I get one cheaper somewhere else?

It comes with an inexpensive locator and we have our own, a locator/GPS combo that I'm going to want to swap out. Should I upgrade the trolling motor so I can use the one that comes with it in the front of the boat with a trolling motor mounted transducer?

And batteries. Would you use a 3rd battery for the bilge, livewell, locator, and lights and keep just one for starting or would 2 batteries be enough? I always worry about using the locator and livewell pump too much and not having enough juice left to start the motor when I'm out in the middle of the lake. Then would I be wanting a 3 bank charger?

You can get seat cheaper at Fleet Farm, they just won't say Alumacraft on them and might not be as cushy. If you have your own locator, two things you could do. Mount the inexpensive one on the front of the boat or see if they will just take it off and maybe use that cost to upgrade the trolling motor.

If you have a 12 trolling motor, you might want to look at the 24 volt. Little more power and a little more battery life.

I wouldn't worry about having a seperate battery to run the accessories. I have two for the trolling motor and one for the main. I run a stereo, two locators, livewell and lights and haven't had a problem. If you are out that long with out moving around then you can always turn on the big motor and take a few laps around the lake to charge the battery. If you do go with a spare, you would need a 3 bank charger.

Hope that helps.

Sandmannd is right on about the seat - you can find cheaper ones, they won't all look the same, but they'll work for quite a bit cheaper.

I wouldn't worry about an extra battery either. If you keep your starting battery charged up you shouldn't have any problems with it getting drawn down with the locator, battery, etc.

It sounds like you're going to get an on-board charger... that should take care of any starting battery issues, regardless of how much you use it.

marine_man

Well, if you're not going to step up and buy a Lund, I guess the next best purchase would be the Alumacraft Magnum.. laugh

Seriously, Alumacraft makes a nice fishing boat and that sounds like a dandy. The nice thing about the 4 strokes is that you can usually idle them low enough to troll with them, even a 90 hp.