• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

fish eating advisory

croixflats

I was thinking of having a nice walleye meal but that advisory keeps popping in my head. Oh, they say you should only eat this amount fish out of this lake and that amount of that river. Well, at my age I'm thinking other things are gonna get before the fish will. And as the lead making me dumber I think the way I abused the beer over the years it aint gonna much differance.

Not to say somebodies of do turn me off. And I think we should be carefull of what we give our young. But for me a Walleye dinner cannot be turned down

What are your thoughts on this

Personally, I think the only way we can prevent toxins from invading our bodies is if we stop breathing. The air we breathe, the water we drink, and the food we eat are full of toxic chemicals. One day we're told eggs cause cancer then we're told red meat is dangerous; we should drink decaffeinated coffee then we're told it's better to drink regular; we drink bottled water because we foolishly believe it is somehow safer than tap water when in most cases (some have flavors added) it is nothing more than ground water. We worry way too much. Sometimes I think we worry ourselves to death about dying.

Bob

Ya, I agree about worrying too much, but in the case of kids or pregnant women (and recently pregnant men??? that was a weird story), it might not be that bad of an idea to watch the intake from some waters. I do think there is an overboard reaction for most lakes and rivers. After all, if you have to kind of think about the canary in the coal mine aspect. If the water is that foul, the fish would be dead. Given that, I know that pollutants are cumulative, but like you said, is it worse than a lifetime of suds and other stuff? I wouldn't worry too much. I kind of look at it like a rating on a chain or cable-the breaking limit rating is a third of its' actual breaking point. A safety valve, so to speak.

How often do you eat fish? If its not more than once a month you should be just fine- I guess its just an afterthought to me because I typically only keep enough for a meal a few times each year.

I'd worry if you were huge, old fish every week- but if you do eat fish often-stick to the smaller sizes-there's younger so they have less toxins in them.

definetly keep some fish from some places away from my daughter and women of child bearing age. Personally I cook up fish from most anywhere for myself, parents, grandparents, and friends probably couple times per month. I think I am pretty well screwed where I live... nuclear plant 10 miles, koch refinery 10 miles, ashland oil about 15 miles, 3M 10 miles. Air, ground, and water quality around here is definetly contaminated w/ all sorts of stuff w/ all that [PoorWordUsage] nearby. I think I need to move to Canada, only worry about hydro plant and paper mill.

I agree with fishinjohn, Moderation!

Same with any type of food pretty much, Things like bacon, fries, sweets, etc. It's good to enjoy them, as long as it's in moderation, some people don't know what moderation is, that's why alot of people these days are obese.

Same with any type of food pretty much, Things like bacon, fries, sweets, etc. It's good to enjoy them, as long as it's in moderation, some people don't know what moderation is, that's why alot of people these days are obese.

Toxins can get you in more ways than just accumulation. You really want to limit it whenever possible. The safe level really isn't an absolute, it's just statistically very unlikely to affect you at that level. But accumulating toxins like mercury is going to be far more harmful than years of drinking beer. Plus some of the effects of long term exposure are pretty serious, loss of memory, nervous disorders, delirium, etc are things you don't want to mess with at any age.

Hey!!! I resemble that remark!!! mad

Givin' ya a hard time, but I do resemble that remark. smirk

Originally Posted By: ac777

Toxins can get you in more ways than just accumulation. You really want to limit it whenever possible. The safe level really isn't an absolute, it's just statistically very unlikely to affect you at that level. But accumulating toxins like mercury is going to be far more harmful than years of drinking beer. Plus some of the effects of long term exposure are pretty serious, loss of memory, nervous disorders, delirium, etc are things you don't want to mess with at any age.

Sounds to me like the same conditions from years of drinking beer. grin

Bob

An expert once said that you'd have to eat over 1,000 pounds of the affected fish in one sitting to notice any negligible effect. I'd be more concerned that pregnant women and children followed the guidelines.

Whats more unhealthy, catching a limit of walleyes and eating them when you get home. Or bass fishing all day and stopping at mcdonalds on the way home?

Depends on how you cook the fish smile

McDonalds is definitly the better choice if you order a garden salad smile

I sure wish bass sesaon was upon us here in the metro and I could be fishing instead of posting on message boards about the mercury levels in the fish I eat

Does anyone know for sure how they do the testing of fish for all of these toxins? Are they filleting the fish and testing only the meat, or are they grinding up the whole fish and testing that, or what?