• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Am I the only one?

SWMuskeye

I myself was born into bass fishing. Being from the south, it is in my blood. I would much rather chase a bucketmouth than drag a lindy rig just about any day. But I don't fish for them exclusively. I go out for walleyes on the river between the last ice and first open water on lakes. I chase panfish in the spring. I go out for eyes or norts on opener. I hit a lake that is near and dear to me on bass opener. I fish skies. I don't mind mixing it up a bit. Half the fun for me is pulling all the rods out the night before a trip, rigging everything up and trying to decide which lures I will force feed a fish the next day. Going after one fish all the time, could get a little boring, but variety is the spice of life my friends.

The one thing that really gets me is bobber fishing. I am just way to impatient to do it. Bobbers with leeches for eyes, nope, give me a jig and plastic. Bobbers for panfish in the spring, no, I will take a 1/16th oz flu flu tipped with some gulp plastic and do my thing. I am not a patient fisherman, if I ain't casting, I am getting bored.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't stand bass!

Largemouth, smallies and even rock (not a true bass, but I hate them nonetheless)

To me they're green carp- a nuisance fish! I get sick of tuning into the outdoor channel to see nothing but fishing shows about bass.

I'd rather have a sheepshead hit my walleye rigs any day than a bass. But lately- you'd think I was targeting them instead of walleye.

Funny thing is- I used to target bass when I fished alone and can do really well if I try for them on Minnetonka, Waconia, etc. But I have moved on to being a walleye/pike/muskie/ panfish guy -- but these roughfish always get in my way!

Am I alone here?

I cant believe after four pages of posts not one person mention the error in the original post.

Largemouth, smallmouth and rock. Neither one of em is a bass..all part of the sunfish family. Which is why any child can catch them. Now to consistantly catch numbers of large ones takes some skill and knowhow. I love topwater fishing for those suckers...nothing beats it except topwater fishing for muskies. Bass on steroids while possessed by the devil himself. The only true bass we have in MN is the white Bass, well and according to some books claim we have some yellow bass but I've never seen one or heard of one being caught. Me personally like to catch whatever. It all depends on the conditions. I love catching tiny trout on ultra light gear or fly gear, just the ehole experience is fantastic. Not to mention yummy. On the tv show subject..way too many bass shows..just like turkey hunting shows. Really? I've yet to see a "different" turkey hunting show. Turkey hunting is like bowling...fun to do, but boring to watch. Infisherman, Hunt for big Fish, any saltwater show. Mostly because I dont get an opportunity to catch these other speices of fish so I enjoy them vicariously through the show's host. I like catching pike but not when they bite me off top water fishing for bass...those poppers dont grow on trees. Anyways my long winded reply boils down to: Yes you are along. grin

The only place I will target a bass (only smallies as well) is in Lake Superior/Chequamegon Bay. Any other place and they are a nuisence fish.

I just love some of them bass "Pros" jumping all over their boats , screaming and fist pumping. Here us walleye guys are trying to be quiet and keep the attention off the fish we catch and these guys are yelling it for all the world to hear. crazy

The only place I will target a bass (only smallies as well) is in Lake Superior/Chequamegon Bay. Any other place and they are a nuisence fish.

I just love some of them bass "Pros" jumping all over their boats , screaming and fist pumping. Here us walleye guys are trying to be quiet and keep the attention off the fish we catch and these guys are yelling it for all the world to hear. crazy

Isn't that the truth!!!! laugh

Originally Posted By: SWMuskeye
I can't stand bass!

Largemouth, smallies and even rock (not a true bass, but I hate them nonetheless)

To me they're green carp- a nuisance fish! I get sick of tuning into the outdoor channel to see nothing but fishing shows about bass.

I'd rather have a sheepshead hit my walleye rigs any day than a bass. But lately- you'd think I was targeting them instead of walleye.

Funny thing is- I used to target bass when I fished alone and can do really well if I try for them on Minnetonka, Waconia, etc. But I have moved on to being a walleye/pike/muskie/ panfish guy -- but these roughfish always get in my way!

Am I alone here?

I cant believe after four pages of posts not one person mention the error in the original post.

Largemouth, smallmouth and rock. Neither one of em is a bass..all part of the sunfish family. Which is why any child can catch them. Now to consistantly catch numbers of large ones takes some skill and knowhow. I love topwater fishing for those suckers...nothing beats it except topwater fishing for muskies. Bass on steroids while possessed by the devil himself. The only true bass we have in MN is the white Bass, well and according to some books claim we have some yellow bass but I've never seen one or heard of one being caught. Me personally like to catch whatever. It all depends on the conditions. I love catching tiny trout on ultra light gear or fly gear, just the ehole experience is fantastic. Not to mention yummy. On the tv show subject..way too many bass shows..just like turkey hunting shows. Really? I've yet to see a "different" turkey hunting show. Turkey hunting is like bowling...fun to do, but boring to watch. Infisherman, Hunt for big Fish, any saltwater show. Mostly because I dont get an opportunity to catch these other speices of fish so I enjoy them vicariously through the show's host. I like catching pike but not when they bite me off top water fishing for bass...those poppers dont grow on trees. Anyways my long winded reply boils down to: Yes you are along. grin

I've heard of yellow bass and even a rare white perch which is also a true bass being caught in the southern most part of the sippi in Minnesota. But is a black bass (largemouth, smallmouth, spotted, etc) really a panfish?? I know the rockbass is.

Ah, the Bass.

Your not alone just in odd company, as is the bass cause he's the smartest fish of the lot. DNR test numbers are generaly very low compared to the numbers in the lakes because they can and do elude the traps and nets. And the cold water bass tastes great cause he is a sunfish.

I don't target the maingie creatures until the water hit's 65 and smallies, anytime can be great even January.

The Marketing guru's love this little greenie cause all the boys down south with bad accents have taken the sport to slick hair and fast boats that can't really take rough water very well.

I say we stick KVD on the red rocks in the middle of Leech lake with 4 footers bangin over the boat fishin muskies and see how long he holds up.

I love all fish even the bass, but let's be honest anyone can go out and catch some. But then agian I've never cashed a check in Bass tourney either.LOL

I have to weigh in on this discussion, I love my walleye and crappies and the white bass is right up there as well but there are alot of fish to be caught. Cats are captivating at night, sturgeon will give you some battles you'll never forget, Largemouth and smallmouth are great fighting fish. Muskies will beat your tackle to a pulp. Carp are supreme fighters and tough to catch, suckers are a blast. Yes, I do tire of bass fishing shows but I have taken the approach that I can learn a thing or two. Funny, walleye insider just had a blurb about senkos and plastics for eyes and how they are becoming more popular. I look at this and say yeah, how many bass guys hit trash fish like we like to catch(walleyes) on a regular basis because they fish for bass. So, that being said, I watch the bass shows and look to see how I can work that to my favor while fishing for what I am after. I would throw a line in the toilet if I knew that I had a reasonable chance at catching anything but the better alternative is to watch the bass guys. Besides, who has ever wanted to lip a turd and kiss it:( Fish hard, be thankful you can be out doing what you love and learn from everybody around you! Everyone have a safe and happy Memorial weekend and remember the vets while you are doing what you do. There are many, that aren't able to discuss the finer points of fishing anymore. Oh, by the way, I'll be fishing walleyes all weekend but tend to have some fantastic bycatch that happen to be in the 4-6lb class with a small mouth.

Tunrevir~

I like them a lot. I have been bass fishing since I was 4. It is always fun and on my lake you can almost always get 20 fish in a few hours. I guess I just like the style of fishing more than walleye although I dont mind any type of fishing if you are catchin'

I hate 'em too. Don't get me wrong, bass can be fun to catch but I rarely try to catch bass on purpose. It gets annoying when you think you have a nice eye, crappie or northern on and you get it up to boat only to see that it's a bass. I prefer to catch fish that I'll eat. Not that I take home fish everytime out but that's what I focus my attention on. That being said, I have eaten bass and they really aren't that bad.

There is another reason I don't fish for bass. When I'm out on the lake I like to relax. I would much rather watch a bobber, jig off the bottom, or troll around than cast 500+ times an hour. Call me lazy but I just want to relax with a beer, listen to some tunes on the radio and B S with my fishing buddies. Bass fishing is just too intense for me.

I fished a metro lake last Friday with a friend for- of course walleyes- the result? 15- green carp - one that went 21", 5 eyes, a sheepie, several sunnies and a 14' crappie. Can you guess which variety of fish I enjoyed catching the least? Bass, not for the lack of fight- just that they were everywhere and an easy catch!

Bass are a great alternative when the smart, elusive (walleye, musky, mid-summer crappies) fish are hard to catch. Nothing better than slinging a spinnerbait, plastic worm or crankbait along a breakline, drop-off, weedline or point. There is always a willing bass ready to be duped by an artificial lure.

All kidding aside the fight of a good sized smallie is something I always look forward to. For the most part large mouth bass are a nuisance to me. Certainly fun to catch however.

Simply put, bass are for people who are easily bored. No offense but almost lazy, on a lot of lakes i can catch endless bass in the same spots during the whole open water period, when not targeting them. Not tiny bass either. Maybe i feel this way because when i was a kid we'd catch 5 to 6 pounders like nothing, yeah it was cool when your 10 but it gets old when your trying to catch something else. I'm not sure if this has been said yet but bass are one of the if not easiest fish to catch. That being said I am a fan of smallies especially out of the river, what a fight. me and my pops easily caught 25 bass last night while fishing crappies,

it was way better than getting bullheads. I could only imagine what the numbers would have been if we we're throwing spinnerbaits or raps or ribbontail baits they were hungry.

I can't stand bass!

I totally agree. Bass to me taste like mud and they bite all the time on the lakes I fish. I'm not saying that there not fun to catch, all fish are fun to catch but I don't know how many times I've caught a bass and thaught "What a waste of a good minnow or leech". I also hate the fact that every fishing show on T.V. is spent hunting this junk fish. I know I'll make alot of people mad by saying that but in this case I don't care I really do not like bass.......

dtro, I'm with you. I have yet to see one of these bass masters who think bass are so easy to catch standing in line at a tournament cashing a check LOL...

The only two times of year that I hate bass are in the fall when redtails cost 13 dollars a dozen and you have 1 pound bass eating you out of house and home when fishing walleyes. And in the winter when I can not fish for them.

Just got done reading close to 8 pages of comments...some seriously opinionated fishermen out there. I use to not even like saying the word 'bass'. Walleyes and pannies were the only thing in my world. Then I started fishing bass with a friend, then got into a league, and now fish a few bass tourney's a year. I've learned so much about fishing by changing species...that I can't even start to list. I'm even now looking into 'fly' fishing. Yet another word I couldn't stand to utter a few years back...

Not that there aren't catch-n-release walleye fishermen out there, but I think it all comes down to whether you want to keep fish or not.

I don't usually keep fish so I like to bass fish because they're good fighters and fairly easy to catch.

I get more enjoyment out of fighting and catching fish then I do out of tracking down an "elusive" fish like a walleye.

That's just my opinion, to each his own...