• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Am I the only one?

SWMuskeye

I can't stand bass!

Largemouth, smallies and even rock (not a true bass, but I hate them nonetheless)

To me they're green carp- a nuisance fish! I get sick of tuning into the outdoor channel to see nothing but fishing shows about bass.

I'd rather have a sheepshead hit my walleye rigs any day than a bass. But lately- you'd think I was targeting them instead of walleye.

Funny thing is- I used to target bass when I fished alone and can do really well if I try for them on Minnetonka, Waconia, etc. But I have moved on to being a walleye/pike/muskie/ panfish guy -- but these roughfish always get in my way!

Am I alone here?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

blasphemy, Pure blasphemy!!!!

If there were only one fish to be in our waters.. I would want it to be the bass.!

Love em, love em, love to eat them out of the nice cold clear lakes, love em to catch, clean, eat, brag about.

I dont Hate them as much as you do in fact I fish in tournaments for them! but I do think that people need to start keeping more! alot of people keep walleyes when fishing for bass but when people are fishing for walleyes they/I hate catching those bass. I think so many people catch and release that the populations in some lakes are getting to large but I agree somewhat with you!

I'll agree that a little more balance in the fishing shows would be nice (looking at my On Demand all the shows were salt-water or bass) I don't think the lake has too many. Nature will check itself if there really were too many. The problem isn't the people releasing the bass it's the people keeping the walleye. If walleye were released as often as bass there'd be almost 1 walleye for every bass in the lake (a lake can sustain more bass up here as they don't grow quite as large).

And based on some numbers I've seen stocking is only about 1/4th as effective for walleye as natural reproduction so remember to let those spawners go or the numbers will go down significantly.

I'm really not a huge fan of them either. If I am trolling for northern or walleye and I catch even a 5 lb. bass, I'm not too excited. It happened to me on Buffalo. I caught a 4.5 & 5+ lb. bass within 5 minutes and It was kinda fun to catch, but disappointing at the same time. You think you have something with some teeth and nope. I really don't like rock bass, but they can put up a good fight.

Bass are the only REAL fish. REAL fishing opens this weekend. Northerns are the only nusiance fish. It would not bother me at all if the only species of fish I ever catch again would be bass.

haha are you kidding me haha lol I heard that the only people that fish bass are the people that cant catch Walleyes! haha Joking all along no one take it seriously but thats what I heard

Well, since bass fishing wasn't open I did fish walleyes on walleye opener. My friend and I had 9 eaters by 3AM and had released a 27 and 29 incher so I can catch them. I just would much rather catch bass.

I like smallmouths, they're one of my favorite species. I think I let go a state record one day at 25 inches. Now largemouth, I absolutely hate all the southern idiots goin out and catchin some baaaasssss. I only watch in-fisherman, minnesota bound, and some of the saltwater ones now.

If in season, I fish for what is biting! Whether it be walleye, carp, sheephead, catfish, sunfish, perch or even bass if they are biting, I will be more then happy to catch it, then release it! I used to focus on a certain fish, and be dissapointed if I caught a different fish. Now if I am catching fish I am happy, even if I am not catching fish, I am learning on what to do and what not to do the next time I fish! Try it, you may just enjoy fishing more!

If in season, I fish for what is biting! Whether it be walleye, carp, sheephead, catfish, sunfish, perch or even bass if they are biting, I will be more then happy to catch it, then release it! I used to focus on a certain fish, and be dissapointed if I caught a different fish. Now if I am catching fish I am happy, even if I am not catching fish, I am learning on what to do and what not to do the next time I fish! Try it, you may just enjoy fishing more!

I agree, I just love catching fish. Bass are fun to catch too. Gotta love the tail dances. I'll keep one now and then in early spring or late fall (in season of course).

Not to knock it, but I did some measuring, and I would reckon that to be a 21 incher at best. I used your four fingers as reference, and gauged against mine (I am a bigger guy, 6'1") and figured the max span at 3.5". Nice fish none-the-less!!!

As far as the Grass-Carp? They are fun to catch, but so are true-carp!!!! I do, however, get excited more from smallies than largemouth.

While I love to catch them, On the whole I would rather spend my time fishing for things that taste good.

They do provide something to do on clear lakes in the summer heat during the daytime instead of fizzing walleyes.

I couldn't agree more about the tv shows. If I see Bill Dance catch one more 2 pound largemouth and get all excited, I don't know what I'll do!

I don't hate largemouth bass, I just don't understand the fascination of fishing for them only. They don't get very big and they are relatively easy to catch.

Great thread by the way.