Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MUSKY18

DNR netting reports for Mille Lacs and Alexander

3 posts in this topic

Was just looking at some of the numbers that were pulled up in the nets from Mille Lacs and Alexander. Has Alex come a long ways, eh? Although they didn't pull any fish over 50, they managed quite a few fish in the big 40's. I am sure that there are some 50's swimming around in there. As for Mille Lacs......we all know the monsters swimming around in that lake. However, the DNR netted a 54.4X 29 MONSTER. Figured it to be in the 57 pound range! All you can say about that is OH MY!!!! shocked

What kind of nets do they use? I hope they are not injuring these fish. Alexander is decent for numbers of fish and you can catch some of decent length. The only problem with Alexander is that the fish are noticeably skinnier than other lakes that I fish. I wish I knew why the fish in Alexander don't get that big body build. I would guess it is because of the forage base in the lake, but I have had people tell me it is loaded with tulibees? I question whether or not there is many tulibees in Alexander.

Alex's tulibee's are nearly non-existant now-a-days. They have started to stock some in recent years to try and get the population back. I do think that is the reason for skinnier fish also. I have seen pics of a 52" out of Alex.

The DNR uses trap (hoop) nets to survey muskies as muskies are to large to effectively get caught in gill nets. I helped the Little Falls area fisheries net Alex in the spring of '96, the first year that they netted a 40" fish. Lake has come a long way since then, better walleye fishing too.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Not a bad idea or product. I just think I'd be worried about the well freezing into the ice. 
    • Had a fun week of fishing...thought I would share some spots!
    • Did 20 qts of pickles last Monday, another 1/2 bushel tomorrow!!
    • Hey everyone has anyone started to pickle yet? Just did 65 quarts of pickles over the weekend. Also did some jars with the carolina repear pepper. Can't wait to try them.
    • I like the Wal-Mart corn to!
    • When is the date unsold bear tags go onsale?
    • I may try smoked rough fish on my bait this year. Anyone tried smoke fish on the bait pile?
    • Does anyone eat or use mooneyes? I caught one in the St. Croix today. Nothing else, it was interesting fish!
    • I hope to take a trip to ND this season, maybe they will get first ice before we do.
    • Hey everybody. An FYI. There is something new coming. Should be out around October, 2017 and available for on-line purchase.   If you google : ICE WELL Live Well ICAST 2017 The video of the product roll-out at ICAST 2017 in July, 2017 will pop up.   Also you can go to the product page. See : ICEWELLLiveWell.com. The page has a separate video to view also.                        The product is being manufactured from a custom blend non-buoyant polypropylene with impact modifiers to withstand extreme cold without cracking. The product will sit within 99% of all manufactured 5-gallon buckets for transport to and from the fishing spot. It is designed to fit within a drilled 8 or 10 inch ice hole. When in the drilled hole it will fill allowing you to throw your catch in the ICE WELL Live Well. No more throwing them on the ice or in the bucket to die, freeze or turn to slime. At the end of the day, pull it, place back in the bucket for transport home. No more frozen fish and easy handling. It's going to sell for around $19.99 plus shipping. The listed page will undergo changes before roll out that will allow purchase direct on-line. This is a creation by a Nebraska ice fisherman for ice fishermen. Made in the USA. Made with recycled materials. "Respect the Resource".     
  • Our Sponsors