• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bass are in trouble and need protection!

Tim_Anderson

Don't know about the rest of you, but I am really concerned about the bass for the upcoming opener. Everywhere I go, the bass are either up shallow, or they are staging out front on the flats or first drop-off. They are definitely pre-spawn and probably will be this weekend as well. And, they'll be on their beds in the coming weeks, with the season wide open. They are incredibly vulnerable and easy to catch, and it bothers me to think of all the bass that will be harvested because of it.

I'm going to talk to our local fisheries manager today, and see if they have any plans for management in this situation? It would be great if they could delay the season, like they did with the walleyes up north.

At the very least, we all need to really promote a strong catch and release ethic now more than ever...and especially try to do our best to educate those who like to target and keep bass in the early season. Alot of damage can be done in the next few weeks if we don't . Every little bit will help.

Good luck to all,

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to disagree, but if there was a serious threat to the bass, the northern part of the state would not open up earlier than the southern part.

Its obviously not an ideal situation, but if there was a true biological reason to save bass, the northern zone would not be open as early as it does.

This has always been a problem some where in the state just teh same as walleyes alot of people in the last few weeks have be slottering big walleyes and keep them from shore! I am alittle concern but think that they will be just fine!

I think they'll be alright. Sure more will be harvested, but not many more. There's always been a strong CPR ethic with bass. As late as the ice came out this year it most likely will be a poor hatch anyway, so if they are pulled off a bed and released the overall impact on the population will be pretty minimal.

Originally Posted By: MSRiverdog
Bass taste terrible, they have worms and will turn you into a Troll. sick

RiverDog, it easy to see that you speak from experience.

Everyone else, heed MSRD's advice!!!

grin ROFLOL you got him there Keith! I tell ya the white bass I had saturday night was a lot better than the largie I ate wednesday. (I kept 2 ice bass just to see how they are).

I can't say that I have ever tasted a good l.m. bass dish...that being said. I also think c.p.r. is a big deal in the bass community and the general population of bass angler's have a strong sensibility towards wildlife conservation. Hopefully I'm not overly optimistic here. smile

I don't think we need to start going down that slippery slope of letting the government (the DNR) restricting everything on the fly,just due to an anomaly of the weather in one season.Where does it end once it really becomes a common practice by the DNR? Maybe my reply should be in the Outdoor Political forum,but it needs to be said. I remember many years gone by where the bass were on the nest, or close to it, on Memorial Day weekend, and the DNR did not delay the season due to a late spring warm up. The last five or so years have been warm, if not hot, earlier than the normal spring we are having now.The bass will be fine.I do agree,however, that CPR is really a mandatory practice for bass this time of year. That my two cents on the topic.

Other neighbooring states have all year open season for bass. They really never had any harvesting or fish managment issues. I've definately caught huge pigs in the last few years to prove so. I really don't believe that making the season shorter will help protect bass population or of any fish. I would definately conclude that a tighter slot limit for all fish would make a dramatic change.People who do harvest these fish are not going to change their ways. Regardless of the information media that can be given to them about the importance of catch and release.

I remeber 4-5ears ago, I could go down to long lake in New Brighton and catch monster bulls. Now I can only catch ones that can barely shallow my plastics. Another example, for any of you who have fished Red Lake within the last few years. You can definately notice the change in the crappie bite. A year or two ago everyone that would go out would come home with a bucket full of slabs. In 2007/2008 winter no one had much to report about the amazing slabs. Personally I've only kept 3 15-17 eyes and about 25 pannies in totally last year.

I'm sure I can hear many testimonials of how good the fishin use to be from FMers. I would definately consider myself as next/new/young generation of a hardcore fisherman. I always seem to catch myself telling these older folks about the changes in our local aquatic ecology. Kind of find it ironic.

What would help would be the slot limit being tighter for all species of freshwater fish. Sure, if we decrease the slot for bass, other people would still resort to other fish like eyes or pannies. There's no denying that alot of fisherman are looking for something to deep fry at home. I'm hoping that soon the future regulations will change dramatically in slot limits for all fish. If we can't change some of these fishermans habits by word of mouth, why don't we just make the law book a little heavier so we can slap them in the face a little harder? I'm glad to hear all the posts about people calling in TIP aftwe witnessing illegal stringers or unlawful practices. It's great to see people that care about future generations.

The bass will be fine. I'm sure the dnr considers this issue and more when they set bag limits. They surely take into account the variations from year to year. I haven't seen anyone keep a bass now in many years...and there's lots of them! Bed fising is nothing new anyhow. It has been acceptable in the south for years and there are studies that show how it affects the fisheries. Perhaps if you read up on some of that you could have more positive excitment for the season.

Gotta say, I'm pretty surprised at the reaction here. I see MANY people up here in the Brainerd area with stringers of bass, and big ones. In late May and early June, many of these fish are taken right off their beds. Some folks around here go back and do it day after day after day and stock their freezers because it is so easy. Locals and tourists both. I expect to see even more of it this year because of the conditions, and that's why I'm concerned.

Many of our lakes are filled with one and two pound bass. It's no big deal to go out and catch 50-100 of these in short order. Big bass (4-7 pounds) are getting to be a smaller and smaller segment of the population. Big ones are being taken out, and now is prime time...it sure makes sense to me. I have lived in and fished the Brainerd area for over 30 years. On the majority of the lakes, bass fishing IS NOT what it used to be.

Alot of people like to eat bass! I don't mind them myself (although I rarely eat them) I'd eat them as fast as I'd eat a pike, but like to catch them enough that I let them all go. About all I ever eat is small walleyes and panfish anymore.

Anyway, my main point is that we need to promote catch and release, now more than ever.

The areas where I fish the bass are all getting bigger and more plentiful, though I will conceed that I live in an area where walleye is king and nobody fishes for bass........haha their loss.

I beg your pardon,but what in my reply shows I am less than excited about the upcoming season? I don't agree with anyone that folks should keep bass off the nest. If a nesting bass is caught, IMHO, it should be returned to the water,period. Maybe you need to direct your reference to reading about what other states have done, or not done to their respective bass seasons, to the MN DNR. The DNR sets the policy/regs for the bass season. A positive outlook on the season has nothing to do with throwing out the thoughts on how a govt. agency could possibly do more to restrict the activities of the general public,without just cause.

We can politely agree to disagree, Tim, that's fine. I do not dispute with you at all the fact that catch and released needs to be preached to the masses. Further restricting the season is not the way to do it. When other states have year long seasons,or a longer season than our own on bass, why does it make any sense to further restrict the season we already have? I can fully appreciate that you have knowledge of the fishing practices of folks in the Brainerd area, but why should the rest of the state be penalized with a further restricted season because a few folks in your locale don't get it where C & R is concerned. More than likely, with all the lakes in MN that have bass in them, the season for bass would change for the whole state, not just north central MN.

Bass DO taste good, coming from an angler who ate them many times as a kid raised on a small farm that ate many meals of bass.

Why can't the limit be reduced to 2 or 3 bass?

I mainly C&R now, but how does fishing effect the spawn? Some reports say a lot, some say not at all. Most have no idea. Who do you believe?

this is not the first year the opener has happened before or during the spawn nor will it be the last. i always practice catch and release for bass and wish everyone would for fish over 15 inches but that is just my opinion because I love to catch them. I would in no way try to force anyone else to do this because its their right to kepp a legal limit with a fishing license. but I do think if you see people keeping a limit and coming back that tip should be called on people breaking the law. and bass dont taste good but they sure are pretty.

I agree with Tim A. and his message on this one.

First off, I'm not disagreeing with the rest of you all in the least bit, rather I'm putting you all in the category of being educated, conservation-minded, and CPR driven bass anglers. Y'all are guys/gals/kids (Sledneck's son...little stud fisherman by the way) that fish for bass and appreciate the sport, species, management, and your role in all that. That is a TOTAL compliment to you all, and to FM in general for instilling and driving that approach. Not all think like "us", simple as that.

Tim's point is on the vulnerability of the bass at this time coupled with this year's weather/water conditions. Why do I agree? He's on the water most every day, and see's it all, not just the anglers like I mentioned above (us), but the vacationers, the recreational anglers, the "bad apples" and so on.

His reference to walleyes up north being closed.....here's an example. Seagull River is often closed because of the potential damage/harvest of spawning walleyes. Where is the state record from? Seagull River, opening weekend 1977. That weekend the angler LeRoy Chivoitte and his party only caught a handful of fish, but the average was over 10lbs+. That's a micro-example of the vulnerability, but you can see the point.

I agree with his post and the intent being that "us" that get it help to spread the word and promote the CPR mentality.

Hope that makes sense......

I can't disagree more, the Bass season opening late is more money driven than anything, they prove this every year by opening up north of Hwy 2 first, They can say what they want about "protecting" the species but $$$ is the biggest factor in this, just ask a fisheries Manager, %90 of our regs are $$ driven and thats a fact. If they truly wanted to protect the fish during spawn they would make it CPR for the months of May and June state wide, yes this would P.O tourney anglers, but its not like they haven't already alienated themselves from tourney anglers! There was a petition floating around calling for the opener to be the Same as pike and eyes with cpr till mid June, they won't even look at that though! If they want to protect the lakes in this type of situation now close off certain spawning areas from fishing its pretty simple, there usually pretty shallow areas and could easily be posted to keep out. Theres no reason we need to screw ourselves even more than what we get by the DNR and the State Legislators. there will be lots of fish in all stages this week, Pre, full spawn, and post, be a responsible angler and stay deep, there will still be plenty of fish to catch!

I think the bass will be just fine. Yes, we will see an opening day that is coming on the cusp of the spawning period for most of the state. In years past we have had opening days that found most of the state dealing with a post spawn period. In researching an article for the Vacationer I spoke to Dean Beck, our Area Fisheries Supervisor. He feels that bass opener in my area will find the fish in a full spawn mode. He also said we have had great recruitment since 1996 and some of our lakes could stand a little selective harvest. If we want to see the sustained growth rates that have been occurring Dean said some of the area lakes could use some help with the harvest of those 10 to 15-inch bass. So I have to trust the fisheries guys, they have a better handle on the lakes than I do and I'm on the water almost everyday.