• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

WaveSpin DH3000 Spinning Reel

magic_minnow

Question

Hello All:

I was thinking about getting the Wavespin DH3000 for my 6'6" St. Croix Premier. It got Field and Streams BEST RATING and I was inquiring if anyone has used one before and can give me a REAL review. Thanks!

14 answers to this question

Have not used one but have played around with one quite a bit at work. The reel seems fine. I don't like the round knob / handle. Not sure I'm sold on 30% more casting distance but like I say, I haven't tried it myself.

I have 2 of them and absolutely love them. Personally, I think they are the spinning reel of the future. I got the first one last winter and although they are a little bulky for an ice rod, I was dying to try it and put it on one of my ice rod's. They have the very best drag I've ever seen on a spinning reel. Absolutely butter-smooth without a single hitch or hesitation. If there is a better drag anywhere on a spinning reel, I haven't seen it yet! The round knob on the handle gave me a moment's hesitation as well. Right away I was thinking of installing a paddle type knob. But I went ahead and gave it a try anyway. I found it to be much more easy to use than I had anticipated. The torque it supplied on the retrieve was excellent! One thing it won't do is slip out of your hand like a paddle type knob will. I still might try a paddle type knob just to see if I like it any better. One of the feature's I like the best about this reel is the fact that you just remove the front of the spool to get rid of the old line by removing it all in one bunch. No more tedious unwinding! This feature alone may make the difference in more fishermen disposing of their old line properly and not just leaving it out on the water or on the lakeshore. Sad to say but circumstance's have prevented me from even being able to get a line wet so far this year, but I think I'm going to get out this afternoon so I haven't been able to try casting with my Wave Spin yet. But I'll bet that I will be able to cast a country mile with it! Wish me luck! No, I don't work for Wave Spin nor do I hold any of their stock. Sure as heck wish I did! 1DIRTBALL

It's an innovative product, but I stll find it hard to believe that physics application of it would work. If the waved spool lip were reduced to 1/4 or 1/8 of the size and it curved upwards then perhaps I would be more convinced. In fact I would be very convinced if it were golf ball dimple sized.

I can see how it would prevent a lot of ugly line unwind and birdnesting. That alone would give you a lot more cast distance.

Ok so I got my wavespin yesterday. My first impression was that it looked like the cheap ol St. Croix reels. But upon inspection, the reel is very high end with extra spare parts and excellent engineering. I couldnt figure out some of the extra stuff like the lube access points and the detachable spool, until I watched the DVD that came with it. Doug Hannon does a good job of explaining the extra stuff. I have yet to cast it but it feels great on my fishing rod and the quality is excellent.

-MM-

slipperybob, Sorry but I can't help you with your question about the field test for the WaveSpin reel. However, I copied your post and forwarded it to one of my low friend's in high place's! Should have the info before too long. Did you know that they are coming out with an Ultra Lite model? It's called the DHxl and will become available in July. I can't wait to get my hand's on one! 1DIRTBALL

I don't know if I would be able to post it here

You can post it here. If it's a bad review, don't grind axes or take shots at the manufacturer. Just say what was good or bad about the reel so others know.

slipperybob, Here's some info you were looking for. Straight from the horse's mouth! 1DIRTBALL

RE: WAVE SPIN QUERY‏

Sent: Thu 6/19/08 1:01 AM

To: Keith Forsberg ([email protected])

Hey keith,

I do not completely understand the gentleman's question,,, short cast are just that, a cast made intentionally short on purpose by the person casting the rod. The cast will still go where you place it, it will not travels an additional 30% past its intended target.

Secondly, our ads state "UP TO 30% further casts", UP TO being the key words here,,,, average gain will usually be significant but may not be 30% every time. Depending on set up WaveSpin has shown 30% further casting on several third parties as well as in house testing and has not been beaten in any casting contest we know of. Also remember, this is based on comparing the WaveSpin to a standard spinning reel, we are not claiming that we will out cast other reels designed for long cast by 30%,, but again there have been several comparison test published (I.E.- Bass & Walleye Boats magazine) June of

2007 I believe,,,, and WaveSpin won against the top long cast spinning reel,,, but only by a few percent, not 30%.

Where WaveSpin excels and the full 30% comes into play is in poor weather conditions (wind and rain), using light tackle

set up, etc. We also promise longer and smoother cast without ever throwing a bird nest, We promise longer cast but they

all may not be 30% longer in every situation or circumstance.

We do promise casting performance as well as great prices, un-equaled customer service, top notch quality, an outstanding

warranty, and innovations that no other company can offer,, not Shimano, Not ABU, Not Mitchell, Not Penn,,, NO ONE.

Also know that as Wavespin comes up with new innovations from the minds of Doug Hannon and the WaveSpin crew, they will be implemented into the reels without raising the price. Just one more way we take care of the people who love to fish.

Thanks for forwarding this question to me Keith, chat some more later my friend.

I hope this helps,

Keith, is you boat all back together now? Let me know.

Russ Riley, VP of Operations

WaveSPin

www.wavespinreel.com "Field & Stream" Best of The Best - 2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds objective enough, as much as I've kindof concluded as well.

The issue with short casting isn't just about placement. It's about being gentle and soft without much effort. In effect, it doesn't utilize the intended design of the 16 rounded teeth on the spool lip. To quantify short, I would say less than 30 yards with a pitching cast. The question would be, does it become counterproductive or counterintuitive to utilize the wavespin reel for such a purpose?

I will look for a store display one to play with some to see how it feels.