• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

parasites in the meat?

I caught some big bluegill today. As I skinned the 1st one I noticed these black things in the meat, looked like someone sprinkled the meat w/ pepper. Also noticed some yellowish-cream colored spots in the meat. All the gills were like this. What are these things? Parasites?

I also caught some crappie out of the same pond & the meat was perfect, no spots.

It's quite common to see Neascus and Yellow Grub in panfish and some larger gamefish. Crappies are the only fish I find in lakes that arent neccesarily affected by those two parasites. You will find Neascus in just about every Metro lake in town or surrounding area lakes. I like the taste of panfish, but rarely eat them anymore due to that.

The DNR does say it's safe to eat if cooked properly and some people don't mind it. But for me it's too much. I will not eat a fish that has Neascus or the Grubs present. It just seems unappetizing. Thats just me though.

Most neascus and yellow grub are also on the exterior of the fish (not just the interior). Neascus looks like coarse pepper has been sprinkled on the fish. It's pretty easy to see, and you can clearly see heavily infested fish. A fish with a speck or two really shouldn't be a problem.

Yellow grub can often be seen at the base of fins. They are easy to overlook but if you carefully inspect the fish you should be able to find a few if the fish is being parasitized.