• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

First Time In Alaska

Alright guys, what should I do? Should I go deep-sea for halibut and salmon, hit the spawn in the rivers for them, or get some trout in the streams? I CAN fly-fish, but my dad can't, so it'd have to be one where you can do both. What do you guys reccomend? Who? What time of year?

Remember, the state is a third the size of the lower 48. You're leaving alot of options open in your question(s).

Personally, if you are going for fishing only, and want to do it all, go to Kodiak. Best fishing I've had in my life. PERIOD. You can do everything you asked about there.

Best thing you can do is start looking on the Internet. Try Kodiak Chamber of Commerce. You'll probably have a whole section dealing with guides, charters, lodging, etc.

A brief summary of my two weeks:

6 day drop camp at a river mouth for the start of the silver run. Tons of dollys, pinks and some rainbows along with the silvers.

Back in town, rented an apartment and van for a week. Traveled the 45 or so miles of the road system to see the sights. Fished the rivers off the roads early and late to catch our silvers. Golfed one day. Chartered for halibut/salmon two other days.

Took our fish to the processor each day to be filleted, vacuum packed and frozen for the trip home.

This trip was the first two weeks of September. Look earlier in the season for kings and perhaps better halibut. Make alot phone calls/emails and get references. Do your homework and you will be rewarded.

Good luck!