• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Catching Bass?

Joebue

Gentlemen,

Some friends and I will be in the Detroit Lakes area from the 24th through the 30th. I was wondering how the fish were biting. Are they spawning yet? Any information or tips you could give would be greatly appreciated. We are thinking about trolling mostly, but we are open to try anything that will be productive. Thanks. Good luck to all!

Joe--Welcome to FM/HSO, great to have you with us! Always nice to have people from out of state join us here.

Our Bass season is still closed till this weekend, however, at least in that part of the state the fish have yet to pull up onto beds... Lucky for you.. bass opens the day you get here, my guess is they will be hungry and waiting for you. 8-)

Ok. Now that I understand the short hand. Absolutely. I have made this trip twice before and have enjoyed it immensely. I understand the benefits of catch and release. I am fishing for the sport and will do my part to maintain the resource. Thanks!

Joe, if there was only one bait to bring along with you on the trip, make it a senko/comida/dinger type soft plastic stick bait. Rigged wacky style a slow fall and couple steady pulls works great, texas style it works pretty darn good as a jerk-bait bait. With the bass in the shallows, they will hit most anything this weekend, but if the fish wont eat one of these soft plastic stick baits, it wont eat much.

Most importantly, have fun. You will be fishing in a great area with plenty of good sized fish. Let us know how you do.

I will be also heading up a little northeast of Detroit Lakes this weekend. Never been up there before, and my buddy's finance caught 6+ lber last year, so I'm hoping for a couple in the 5lb range, if not a lucky 6 lber.

I'm heading up there this weekend too! So let me know how you do and I'll do the same. I'll be staying in Perham and will be fishing a couple of lakes near there. I'm a little worried since I've never fished up there in condition like this, its usually early July when I head up there. We'll see...

Gentlemen, thanks for all the information. I still have to grab a bit more tackle before heading out on Friday, so you input will be put to use. I will let you know how we do and hopefully I will have some pictures to share with everyone. Thanks again for the info and the warm reception. Good fishing!!

Weird... I'll be heading up there for the first time this weekend as well. It all depended on My softball team and playoffs. Well, we got upset by a 6 seed and lost in the first round of playoffs for the first time in four years.... On the bright side; now I can make the trip. I'll be staying just west of Detroit Lakes at a place called Forest hills resort. I really don't know what lakes to fish. I know there are a ton around there but where to start? Does anyone have a suggestion or two of some lakes I may want to spend some time on. I'll most likely be fishing by myself because my inlaw's family are way into golf... not me. I don't need any specific spots as I know I'll be tossing shallow cranks and some plastics but I really could use some help on lake choices. (Long, Sallie, Melissa, Fox, Munson, Brandy, Floyd, St.Clair)Thanks...

Fever

Sounds like you can fish the same area of lakes I was asking about. I'll be on Buchanan on Saturday night and maybe Sunday as well. Check out the Otter Tail County forum