• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The Coolest Thing For Running The River At Night While Catt‘in!

Shack

I can not take credit for this. Kyle B has them on his boat and I stole the idea from him.

I figured I would wait until I had done some running on the river at night, before I posted about this. Since I seen Kyle B’s boat last year at the KOTC get together, I have been intrigued with this idea. Head lights on your boat.!

This time of year, things and tree’s are floating in the river’s. Also if you explore new area’s, snags can come about quick and in the middle of the river. I have lived this situation for years and a hand held spot light can only do so much. When I saw Kyle B’s head lights on his boat, I though that was the coolest thing.

So I did it. I made some custom mounts and got a couple million watt K.C. style lights. All I can say after fishing last night is WOW!

After some minor adjustments so the lights would work best on plane, you could see far ahead. Know the river first, but I ran 35-40mph in area's I know, of for long periods of time for the first time ever last night. Plus, loading at night is much better. I do still use the hand held for shore views, but it was on only a fraction of time as it has been in the past.

Just wanted to throw a nice safety tip out to you river cat dudes and say thanks to Kyle B for the idea.

My catt’in just got a little easier cool!

VEKiPtrz8uu9Uaea-wu7ZHC1Q6HDxGp80300.jpg

So that was you we saw ridin' around down there last night. I was pretty sure it was your boat we crossed paths with a couple times. Your rig looked pretty sweet cruising by after dark. cool

Thanks guys!

Actually I did make them removable. I just unscrew the four mounting screws and I have a couple disconnects in-line on the wires right below mount. I did this for winter storage and my current cover. I am looking into Canvas Crafts in Ramey to make a custom cover to fit over them. Then I would just leave on all the time. I would say 60% of boat fishing in the summer is done at night, so most trips I will need them for night time.

Flaco, I thought I had seen you guys by the bridge in that back swirl spot when we where heading up stream just before sun down. As we headed back down late at night, you guys had moved. Did you guys have any luck?

Looks good Josh!

One thing I can say is that you can never have too much light.

I recently mounted some driving lights on my boat (fog lights) they worked ok, but just not as well as I would’ve liked.

Yesterday I spent a couple hours in the boat mounting a single style spotlight in the front, kind of similar to the one on yours. Also added a permanent inverter and cleaned up some of the wiring.

It sure makes a big difference if you can get the light source out in front of the boat rather than a hand held that lights up the entire boat and creates glare.