• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where to get Stinger?

Daze Off

I saw where it was recommended that Stinger or 2-4-D or Curtail were recommended to get rid of thistle. Tried Round-up without much success. I want to get the root system that keeps producing these monsters.

Where can you find any of the above and is 2-4-D as good as Stinger?

Thanks for your help with this one.

If Stinger isn't available, you could try using Crossbow in a broad application or Tordon RTU for localized applications. These are brush killers/woody plant herbicides which should knock down Canadien/ bull thistles. However,I don't believe they have much of a residual effect like Stinger does.

If these products aren't available Ortho WeedbGon brush killer may be your best choice.

Thanks everyone - I want to be somewhat careful because these infestations are within two landscape burms in my yard and I don't want to take my evergreens and decidious shrubs with the thisle but at this point the thistle is overtaking the whole deal and I want to eliminate them before I cover the open areas with landscape fabric and mulch again.

Round-up eventually wipes the plants out that I spray it on but within days new stuff comes up from the roots which remain untouched.

You would have to go to an agronomy center to get Stinger. It may be a restricted use pesticide, meaning you have to take a class to be certified to use it. Go ahead and check it out. We have used it in a hand sprayer in CRP ground, but it takes a few applications to do the job well.

Unfortunately, complete thistle control should be done in the fall of the year.

This is when the sugars and starches of the plants are going down thru the root system,to survive over winter. This is the best time to control any type of thistle.

Spring will burn them down, but as you mentioned new growth will come of the tap roots. Try to control this spring and summer, than this fall when temperatures are still in the 70's hit them again to totally kill the root system in them.

Farmer

Transline is the non-ag licensed version of Stinger. Obviously non-ag licensed chemicals are cheaper then ag licensed. Either way a trip to the CO-OP is on your list. No 24D is not nearly as good as a chemical focused on strictly thistle and other "tough" broadleaves.

I found a place where I can get both Stinger and Curtail and do not need licensure for purchase or use. The problem is cost.

Stinger goes for (hold unto youu socks boys and girls) $250.00 for a 1/2 gallon (3/4 of a pint treats an acre though)

Curtail is much less expensive at $125.50 for 2 1/2 gallons which will make 45 gals of the stuff.

If there are 10 people out there who want to take even shares of Stinger I'll be glad to arrange it.

lake Off are you still looking at getting some curtail? I may be able to help you because I farm and use both curtail and widematch to control thistle. The active ingrediant in stinger is the same as curtail the difference being stinger is labeled for sugar beets and curtail is not.