Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Moose-Hunter

Guide service claims MY picture as their own!!! (PIC ADDED)

104 posts in this topic

Howdy Folks...

It pains me that I have to write the following about a fellow fisherman. This person has obviously fallen on some hard times and has chosen to stray outside the lines of honesty out of despiration. I apologize for this post sounding a bit vague. However, at this point, I am not at liberty to reveal any specifics. I believe you will get the "gist" of it as you contiune reading...

Some of you may had read my recent post in the metro section about three very large crappies my girlfriend and I caught May 14th.

Link to original post...

Not wanting to violate Fishing Minnesota's terms of service, I did not post any pictures of these fish due to the "no dead fish pictures" rule. I respected the site rules as all three fish had been harvested and that was quite obvious.

I had received a few requests from members who posted their email address in the above thread wanting to see these fish. I gladly sent them out a picture. One specific email was from a person who claimed to be a FM member just wanting to see the fish. I sent out a picture and a brief description of the events of the day. The day after that pic was sent out, I received an email from a friend of mine who told me he had seen the picture of me and my fish posted up on the web site of a certain "guide service" claiming that I had been one of their clients when this fish was taken.

This, my friends, could not be further from the truth and all the claims made by this "guide service" are nothing but a string of lies!!!

This "guide service" claims that my fish was taken from one of the "major" crappie fisheries here in the Minnesota and that one of their "seasoned, professional guides" had captained the boat that brought in this "huge super slab". They even had the audacity to use sections of my own description, from my own email, in their little write up on when/how this fish was taken!!

Folks... It is a proven fact that this crappie had been harvested from a lake no more than a 35 minute drive from my home in Cologne, Minnesota and not from any of the "huge crappie factories" of the north. This fish was taken using my own personal boat, no guide, and has been witnessed by a few of my neighbors that know my girlfriend and I had been fishing locally.

I have been in contact with this so called "professional" guide service and have been told the picture and story would be taken down. As of this morning, it was still on their site and after a quite heated phone call, they assured me it would be removed no later than close of business on Monday.

At this time, I will refrain from posting the name of the guide service or even a description of this picture in hopes they have learned a valuable lesson, will be honest, and do the right thing. If they do not remove the picture and story from their web site, and continue on their course of deceit, further action may be taken!!

And if this "guide service" happens to read this...

You know what you are doing is wrong! PLEASE do the right thing and take that picture off your web site. It doesn't need to go any farther... If you choose to continue with your dishonest ways, I will take it upon myself to make sure your deceitful practices are well known through any legal means I have at my disposal... The choice is yours.

I'll put my 2 cents in the ring. This is a decietfull practice taking credit for someone else's fun and catch. Hopefully this guide service visits FM and notices the replies on this subject.If his name gets out it wont be good buisness in the future.

That is insane. I'm glad you are taking action. That's false advertising and invasion of your privacy at the least. Hope you still have a copy of your email for proof that you sent it to them. That's just very poor practice on their part. I share pics all the time on this site, insane to think some could end up on false ads.

I agree, this is very unfortunate. I will say that you are handling it in the best way possible. It's sad to see this "guide service" rip off other people's pictures to use as their own.

I guess I think you should reveal the name of the guide service and at least the FM name of the person who got it from you and gave it to this outfit.

We all need to know who engages in this sort of deceit so that we are sure to not do business with them and to make sure none of our friends have contact with this unethical bunch.

Tell us, please.

I second that. I have been booking guides off this site advertisers the past few days-- Would make me a little miffed if this guy were one of them.

I would have given the name up right away. Then we could all go to their HSOforum, see the picture and never do business with them.

or at least post the area the guide is located in, i have been searching an yahoo for ever trying to find a pic of this crappie just to see such a beast but there are way too many guides to search through.

amazing what some people will do... Have you ever heard of this guide having a good reputation or keeping customers happy? Pretty sure no guide service advocated on this site would have any practices close to the other guy. May not be able to use name on this HSOforum, but word of mouth is pretty powerful I have found. I would say his hometown base of customers is gone, he may have to start fishing deep for some more business. Good luck w/ all this [PoorWordUsage], did you print out YOUR picture off HIS HSOforum?

Lets just say i have a pic but no body gets it.

monster slab nice fish. as for the guide service thats just not right and nobody can pay$$$ for a trophy it just happens......

Thanks all for the support!!

I never thought in a million years something like this would ever happen. Typically I've found most guides to be average Joes with a passion for fishing and the luck to be able to do it for a living. I realize our economy is in the crapper right now, but to pull something like this really chaps my hide!!

As this situation is still in a state of "flux", I'm not at liberty to give out a whole lot of details. I can tell you that this person does NOT advertise on or support Fishing Minnesota in any way. From what I have seen and personally experienced, the guide services offered though FM are nothing but top notch operations that would never stoop this low.

I'm also not 100% sure that this person is even a member here. I had my web mail addy listed in my original post and that could have easily been "sniped" by this person. Or the picture could have been forwarded to this person from someone I sent the picture to, and so on, and so on, until it finally ended up in the hands of the dishonest guide service.

Hang tight guys as this is kind of a sticky deal right now as this "could" lead to legal action if that is possible. I feel that I have been wronged and will not back down until I get satisfaction. If this so called guide service does not pull the picture and description, you can bet your bottom dollar that I'll be get in contact with Rick or one of the other admin/mods and find out exactly what info I can and can not post.

Thanks again for your support!!!

Good luck with this! I know I'd be more than a little upset.

Or you could could convince them they owe you a free guided trip for all the trouble they caused you.

Maybe it's just me and my opinion, but I would rather not go on a guided trip with a "guide" who ripped off pictures of my fish to use as his own... just my .02

Just as an FYI, it is illegal to use any picture of you or a picture you have taken without your writen permission and an exchange of money. I work in Marketing and deal with the rights to us imagery all the time. I have also worked for GM in their marketing department and even I had to sign a release to use one of my images in their Outdoor expidition catalog. I would call a lawyer and have them send a "reminder" letter that if they do not take down those images, then you will be forced to take further legal action. We had an old employee that used one of his images and didn't sign a release and we continued to use that image for a year or so after he had left and later he sued and received a pretty penny.

I agree with TrophyEyes. Talk with an attorney and show him/her the picture. One letter should make their pucker string snap shut.

Moose-Hunter,

Congrats on the fish. I also would like to say that the way you are handling the situation says alot about you as man and my congratulations goes out to you for that also. No need to post the name or have a lawyer send a letter until they refuse to take it down. In the end the guide service will fail unless they change their ways and the way you are handling it will bring you just rewards. Good karma has a way of coming back around. Good fishing to you.

Chaff

I would also mention the plagerism of your email. I am sorry things like this happen. And I too am really impressed at how your are handeling this. Very professional. I would have a hard time with that. Taking credit from someone is just wrong. I hope this all works out well for you..

Good job on catching the guy, I bet this is not the first time the guy "borrowed" a picture...

Thanks again guys for all the support!! It is truely a shame that things like this happen.

Update: I received a phone call from this guide earlier this morning. This time, the conversation was not filled with anger and biligerence and took on a much softer, very apologetic tone. We have set up a time to talk later this evening and it is my understanding this situation will be done and over with. As of this writing, the web site in question is "unavailable"...

More details to follow...

Nice, I hope it gets resolved for you. What's the old saying? You can catch more bees with Honey or something like that? Maybe being nice and explaining it to him (no matter how hard that is) will get it done.

I would like to know what the guide service said in response. It's not like they could claim that they "accidently" posted your picture as it was accompanied by your email description of the catch.

You really ought to consider naming the guide who did this. If he did this with you, he may have done this kind of thing before. If someone is thinking about spending a couple of hundred dollars for a day on the lake, they should know if the guide is reputable or not.

Comeon Metro He's got too many scruples for that,and hes wise to settle it himself!